Sign in to follow this  

Georgia Highland Park *props*

I am putting this post up here to give some credit to Paul over at highland park. This operation is FIRST RATE. We spent Friday - Sunday there and had a blast. This is probably the best public riding i have seen on the east coast. The cabins are clean. He has a huge supply of KTM parts and bikes on site and his pricing is equivalent to what you'd get online. The staff knows their stuff and they are manufacturing and testing their own suspension parts. If i'm not mistaken i think he said he had Mike Brown's suspension in the shop if that tells you anything.

Further, i will mention that the feel of the place is very cool. There are miles of true singletrack. You can tell that they genuinely love the land and take care of it. The track is very forgiving (i'm not a track rider) and the trails flow very well and are clearly the product of some thought, not just a guy on a machine bumping through the woods. It's a little bit of a drive to North Georgia for some but the guy has had a few challenges getting going so it's worth it to go out and support them for helping keep the love for moto alive. They even took us out to dinner one night and showed us around. If you get really lucky, you might be offered to accompany a top-secret late night mission on the track. These guys go far above and beyond the call of duty for you. And best of all, I only saw 3 quads all weekend!

The websites:

http://www.highlandparkresort.com/

http://www.ktmworld.com/ktm_parts.asp

I will upload a helmet cam video of some of the trails if there is any interest.

Thanks!

I love the place too. I wish they would take the peewee track up a notch though. Would make it more kid friendly.

JT,

Was there last summer, stopped by after NC trip, and will probably hit it again this summer as I need to check out some KTM bikes.

Brett,

Geez, if they take the PeeWee track up a notch youmay not be able to ride it:smirk::smirk::smirk:

Don:thumbsup:

I agree great place. The ride to dinner can be more dangerous than riding your bike there....:smirk: Anyone who has survived that will know what I'm talking about....Good mexican food though!:smirk:

DonO,

Keep me posted on your dates for HP. I need to check out some of the new "Team Orange" rides as well! :smirk:

Mark C

Brett,

Geez, if they take the PeeWee track up a notch youmay not be able to ride it

And here I've been trying to be nice everytime you set youself up...

+1 great place! Visited highland last winter just before Christmas. Loved it, great place well groomed trails and professional staff. Had heater in cabin ready for when our group arrived. Can't say enough good about them.

And I do not own anything orange. Do yourself a favor and ride both GP tracks. Great fun, big air and low technical. :smirk:

+1 Couldn't agree more! Wonderful place! We were just there this week. We rented three different bikes and were able to swap them around between us. Wonderful opportunity to try some different bikes out in real world AWESOME trails.

They do have some incredible single track! Can't imagine what the 5D trails look like!! We only rode a couple laps on the MX track...wish we would have hit it earlier as it was very forgiving and in really good shape. I think they are getting ready for their first race there next weekend.

Cabins were nice and clean. Remember to take your linens or sleeping bags and a towel! They do have that stuff available (for a fee) but take your own if you can.

Really nice facility! I wish we lived closer. I would definitely frequent if I did.

I love the place, but I have a minor (very minor) issue. After two years of checking out their website, talking to a buddy of mine that rides there, and even calling and speaking to someone, I feel that it is a little more advanced than advertised. My son had not yet been out of the yard on his bike and I carried him over there for a day of "fun". Our "fun" consisted of him spilling his bike about 4 times and 2 of those were hard crashes. He busted a tube and scratched his bike up pretty bad. He still has some bruises and all this happened on Easter. The PeeWee track was awesome for him, but the trails (and we stayed on the inner and outer perimeter 1 Diamond) were more than he was ready for. I also learned that I had not properly geared him up but that is changing.

I love the place, but I have a minor (very minor) issue. After two years of checking out their website, talking to a buddy of mine that rides there, and even calling and speaking to someone, I feel that it is a little more advanced than advertised. My son had not yet been out of the yard on his bike and I carried him over there for a day of "fun". Our "fun" consisted of him spilling his bike about 4 times and 2 of those were hard crashes. He busted a tube and scratched his bike up pretty bad. He still has some bruises and all this happened on Easter. The PeeWee track was awesome for him, but the trails (and we stayed on the inner and outer perimeter 1 Diamond) were more than he was ready for. I also learned that I had not properly geared him up but that is changing.

I love this place, but I agree it's not a good place for beginners. Durhamtown is better suited for that.

I came down from NY (with all my gear) to visit relatives in GA a few weeks

ago.

Went one day and rented the KTM 350. (Never rode a KTM, I'm a YZ

motocross guy.) Had a blast!! Love the place. The motocross track

was great and the inner and outer perimeter trails were great.

I'm also a huge KTM fan now...

:smirk:

Top notch place!!

Oh yeah, the mexican shuttle is an adventure in itself. I heard all about the van ride on the mx track. Try goin to the Mex joint in a Honda CRV type veh at 80plus mph...I swear, that little car got AIR!

Big race this weekend....Heading there for a few days right after work today.

Oh yeah, the mexican shuttle is an adventure in itself. I heard all about the van ride on the mx track. Try goin to the Mex joint in a Honda CRV type veh at 80plus mph...I swear, that little car got AIR!

Big race this weekend....Heading there for a few days right after work today.

I think we got air in the 15 passenger van:)