Poor man's carb mods?

Okay so a new jet kit is $75, a new jet (singular) is $6. I really don't have the money to spend on a jet kit nor the $500+ for a carb.

Since individual jets are $6-8 I was thinking of just getting a 155 or 160 main, any thoughts?

include a 25 pilot? 27.5 pilot?

needle required?

My shop said we can trade at no cost if wrong jetting.

06 sm

current mods:

2 1/4 hole in airbox (will widen when jet decision is made)

spark arrestor opened, and 2 half inch holes in 1st baffle

right now bike runs good but needs to be in 4th gear at anything less than 45mph and similar for other gears (needs for the gas to be on)

Getting individual jets and an appropriate needle is fine and can save you some $$. However, if you're talking about a specific jet kit, what you're paying for is a custom needle (a pair, actually) that you can't buy from a dealer, a reasonable selection of jets that you're going to need anyway since the air temp, pressure, and humidity changes seasonally, if not daily, and perhaps most importanly, the vendor-researched matrix of what needle/clip/jet combinations to use as the weather changes. For me, saving maybe $40 isn't worth the pain of buying individual parts.

replacing jets wont fix the issue.

tape the hole back up and ride. thats the cheapest mod.

replacing jets wont fix the issue.

tape the hole back up and ride. thats the cheapest mod.

Bike comes stock in lean condition, add more air and less back pressure = extra lean. Add a bigger jet...get more fuel....and vwhala no more lean condition = more power.

What am I missing?

your missing understanding how a carb works,,and reading morwe about it i think...

the main jet only offers fuel to 3/4 to wot throttle. you still need to fix the middle range of the throttle position which is done with the aftermarket needle as previously explained why you need a different needle..,the stock pilot jet will have to be changed to a 25 if your going to keep the stock fuel screw, if you get the extende fuel screw the stock pilot will do,

The needle and the spring to name just a couple. As far as I know you can only buy them from a kit for the Minkuni.

there is a thread in in the faq explaining everything on how carbs work , you may want to read it if you havent..happy modding :smirk:

just a thought, but i did my cvk40 swap for just a little over what a jet kit costs. more bang for the buck (i feel) than jetting the stocker.

Bike comes stock in lean condition, add more air and less back pressure = extra lean. Add a bigger jet...get more fuel....and vwhala no more lean condition = more power.

What am I missing?

your missing that "Bike comes stock in lean condition" is the needle.

just a thought, but i did my cvk40 swap for just a little over what a jet kit costs. more bang for the buck (i feel) than jetting the stocker.

Wow....where did you get the cvk40?

your missing that "Bike comes stock in lean condition" is the needle.

I need the blue needle...either in the kit or new carb.

Wow....where did you get the cvk40?

Its not really out -n- in swap..You should read this recent thread and there is a master cvk40 thread in the faq that offers good info, so you are aware of whats involved, there is a little work involved in the swap

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=983045

sure its a little work but nothing you cant do in a day. i found my cvk40 on craigslist through a KLR partout ad, they are on ebay too but im a CL junkie lol

i was just considering whether or not he had the desire or skills to do it..

sure hes got the desire, everybody wants to go faster for cheap:ride:

sure hes got the desire, everybody wants to go faster for cheap:ride:

Amen brother!