Sign in to follow this  

What Oil and Filter do you use?

I went down to my local auto-parts dealer any they didn't have the filter for my bike, so I'll be ordering it offline. Now that my choices are unlimited (Muwahahah, I love the internet) I'm wondering if I should pay a little extra for some nicer oil, and filter. O' and this is my first oil change on the bike.

Wondering what y'all think and use?

My bike: 2005 WR250F

I went down to my local auto-parts dealer any they didn't have the filter for my bike, so I'll be ordering it offline. Now that my choices are unlimited (Muwahahah, I love the internet) I'm wondering if I should pay a little extra for some nicer oil, and filter. O' and this is my first oil change on the bike.

Wondering what y'all think and use?

My bike: 2005 WR250F

I would say that it depends on what kind of riding you are doing. But right off the bat I'm going to say No-Toil filter. It may be a little more expensive but in the long run it will save you a little bit of money gradually everytime you need to "change" it. And as for oil I would go with yamalube, and if i remember correctly stay the :smirk: away from anything synthetic :smirk:

I would say that it depends on what kind of riding you are doing. But right off the bat I'm going to say No-Toil filter. It may be a little more expensive but in the long run it will save you a little bit of money gradually everytime you need to "change" it. And as for oil I would go with yamalube, and if i remember correctly stay the :smirk: away from anything synthetic :smirk:

Thanks for the input. I'll be riding in temperatures ranging from 65-110 degrees. Mostly hill climbs, and tight trails...rarely will I be going over 30mph. I'll be pushing first gear pretty hard.

Any suggestions on the weight of the oil?

Thanks for the input. I'll be riding in temperatures ranging from 65-110 degrees. Mostly hill climbs, and tight trails...rarely will I be going over 30mph. I'll be pushing first gear pretty hard.

Any suggestions on the weight of the oil?

Well I also ride tight trails and stuff like that so I think we ride the same stuff just not the same temperatures. I am at work right now but i will double check when I get home and I will let you know

Check out the Scott's stainless oil filters. They are pricey at first, but it's the last oil filter you'll ever have to buy. After 10 times of not changing the filter it pays for itself over the yamaha paper ones. And that's just the price, the performance is MUCH better, too!

Hotter temps will mean you can run thicker oil, check your manual and it will have a handy graph with recommended oil weight vs. temperature. Once you know the weight, then look for oil that is for motorcycles or vehicles with wet clutches. Regular car oil has additives that will screw up your clutch function.

Scott's stainless filter and Motul 5100 or 300v (I use 300v). OEM paper filters are fine too, but they add up after a few oil changes where the Scott's just keeps working as long as you clean it properly. Get some extra rubber and copper seals; don't reuse the drain seals. :smirk:

I use Motul 300v because the tranny and clutch still feels good between oil changes. That wasn't the case with Yamalube (not even close), and the cost difference was okay for me between 300v and 5100.