Need help figuring out what is wrong with my bike

Hi I am from Hoover, Alabama. I have a 06 crf 450x that is giving me trouble starting. I have read a lot of the technical information on this board but I am afraid to get out a wrench and check my valves or compression to see if that is what the problem is because usually I end up making matters worse than they were before I started. I can do general maintenance like I installed a jd jetting kit, fuel screw, slip on exhaust, skid plate, and removed the carb and cleaned it. But when it comes to the engine I am scarred to touch it. Is there anyone in my area that could show me how to check vales and shim them if needed or/and check the piston to see if it needs to be replaced. I can't pay you much for your time but I could do some computer work for you as that is what I do for a living. I really need someone who is willing to spend a weekend showing me how to do this stuff. I don't have the money to take it to a shop right now and I probably won't for some time. Any help would be appreciated and I will come to you.

Thanks

BamaFan

Hi I am from Hoover, Alabama. I have a 06 crf 450x that is giving me trouble starting. I have read a lot of the technical information on this board but I am afraid to get out a wrench and check my valves or compression to see if that is what the problem is because usually I end up making matters worse than they were before I started. I can do general maintenance like I installed a jd jetting kit, fuel screw, slip on exhaust, skid plate, and removed the carb and cleaned it. But when it comes to the engine I am scarred to touch it. Is there anyone in my area that could show me how to check vales and shim them if needed or/and check the piston to see if it needs to be replaced. I can't pay you much for your time but I could do some computer work for you as that is what I do for a living. I really need someone who is willing to spend a weekend showing me how to do this stuff. I don't have the money to take it to a shop right now and I probably won't for some time. Any help would be appreciated and I will come to you.

Thanks

BamaFan

What makes you think it's the valves?

Will it push start?

Have you put in fresh gas and adjusted you fuel screw?

Bamafan, if you can get that carb on and off, install a jet kit and it ran after that work you are good enough to check the valves. Checking is easy, changing shims are harder and maybe you should have help doing that.

Bamafan, if you can get that carb on and off, install a jet kit and it ran after that work you are good enough to check the valves. Checking is easy, changing shims are harder and maybe you should have help doing that.

I can do general maintenance like I installed a jd jetting kit, fuel screw, slip on exhaust

I can do general maintenance like I installed a jd jetting kit, fuel screw, slip on exhaust

Whats up with that. IMO screwing 3 bolts off and and checking valve clearance is general maintenance. Trying to give him a boost.

Whats up with that. IMO screwing 3 bolts off and and checking valve clearance is general maintenance. Trying to give him a boost.

My bad I read it wrong.

I have tried fresh gas and put in a new spark plug. I usually could pull the choke out and it would start right up but now I'm lucky to get it started and yes it did start last week after several tries but this week it would not. I pulled the carb off the bike and had the local bike shop clean it and I put fresh 91 octane gas in it. It started but it is very difficult and the last time I ran my battery down trying to start it. I know it is asking a lot for someone to spend their weekend showing me how to do this stuff I thought I would just ask. I really would like to be able to do it on my own to bring down the cost of owning a bike but I am no mechanic and need some help. Thank you for your responses maybe I should give it a try myself.

Whoa. You had a shop clean the carb. Now, check that all the carb settings are still correct, before you do anything. Namely, check the fuel screw and verify that it is indeed two turns out, if that passes, ensure you have your jets and needle still in place. Verify all carb vents and mounts are intact. Ensure all gaskets are solid. I hope carb cleaner was not used, but give your carb a good glance to be sure the shop didn't destroy anything or install something upside down.

Sounds to me like valves are tight.

Sounds to me like valves are tight.

+1 thats what I'm thinking too.

My bike had a similar problem a few weeks ago. Took it over to Tri-City here in Colorado and the issue was zero clearance of the intake valves...exhaust valves were still in spec.

I guess no one lives in my area who can show me how to check the valves. I guess I am going to have to give it a try. I just need a good torque wrench and 8mm allen head tool and some feeler gauges. Any suggestions on where I should go to buy this stuff.

I guess no one lives in my area who can show me how to check the valves. I guess I am going to have to give it a try. I just need a good torque wrench and 8mm allen head tool and some feeler gauges. Any suggestions on where I should go to buy this stuff.

I posted videos on how to check the valves up in the stickies. Try the TT store.