Sign in to follow this  

Tuning Help..

Hey guys I recently did dave's mods, d-smogged, d-snorkeled, uni filter and put in a Yoshimura slip on for my 08 L. I also re-jetted with 58/160 and turned the knob 2.5 turns. I am riding mostly at 3,200 feet.

I find that now it has much more power but I feel that its not properly tuned because when I open the throttle full it sort of has a lag to it. Plus this morning when turning it on (after a week idle) it blew some black smoke out of the pipe.

Is the lag or black smoke because it is to rich? Should I go down to a 55/158?? or should I try first moving the knob around and If so, should I turn it more or less than the 2.5 turns?

Thanks, sorry for the novice questions but I am not familiar with mechanics too much!

Really appreciate your help! :smirk:

Hey guys I recently did dave's mods, d-smogged, d-snorkeled, uni filter and put in a Yoshimura slip on for my 08 L. I also re-jetted with 58/160 and turned the knob 2.5 turns. I am riding mostly at 3,200 feet.

I find that now it has much more power but I feel that its not properly tuned because when I open the throttle full it sort of has a lag to it. Plus this morning when turning it on (after a week idle) it blew some black smoke out of the pipe.

Is the lag or black smoke because it is to rich? Should I go down to a 55/158?? or should I try first moving the knob around and If so, should I turn it more or less than the 2.5 turns?

Thanks, sorry for the novice questions but I am not familiar with mechanics too much!

Really appreciate your help! :smirk:

For one.the fuel screw doesn`t affect much but idle.........and just above idle.......

I would do a plug chop test.........WFO down the highway for one minute,fresh plug in it..hit the kill and pull the clutch at the same time........then pull the plug and see......that`ll tell you the main jet reading.....

Personally.i think you`ll find that 55/158 would work better.....that`s alot of fuel at altitude....you can pull the side cover off and ride it,if it runs better then you are too rich......

B

Edited by brianhare

For one.the fuel screw doesn`t affect much but idle.........and just above idle.......

I would do a plug chop test.........WFO down the highway for one minute,fresh plug in it..hit the kill and pull the clutch........then pull the plug and see......that`ll tell you the main jet reading.....

Personally.i think you`ll find that 55/158 would work better.....that`s alot of fuel at altitude....you can pull the side cover off and ride it,if it runs better then you are too rich......

B

Thanks!! Will try your suggestions!!