Shifter stabbed into engine

A couple weeks ago I injured my self and had to ride out with one leg. Due to being down a leg I dumped the bike off a small ledge while riding back to the truck.

When my friends got the bike back up we noticed oil dripping from the engine right behind the end of the shifter, it seems as if the shifter struck a rock and was bent into the engine enough to poke a small hole. Luckily one of the guys was able to wedge a gummy energy snack between my shifter and the engine and I was able to make it to the truck with out much lost oil.

Being injured I didn't take much time to inspect the damage but it seems like it is just a small cover and not the whole case that needs replacing. Either way this wasn't too hard a dismount and seems like it could easily happen during alot of common falls.

Has anyone experienced this issue and are there any guards or protectors or other methods to prevent this from happening again? Oh yeah, I had also ordered a longer shifter from Hammerhead, it is on back order, I wonder if that would have helped?

Edited by Murphy204
misspelling
A couple weeks ago I injured my self and had to ride out with one leg. Due to being down a leg I dumped the bike off a small ledge while riding back to the truck.

When my friends got the bike back up we noticed oil dripping from the engine right behind the end of the shifter, it seems as if the shifter struck a rock and was bent into the engine enough to poke a small hole. Luckily one of the guys was able to wedge a gummy energy snack between my shifter and the engine and I was able to make it to the truck with out much lost oil.

Being injured I didn't take much time to inspect the damage but it seems like it is just a small cover and not the whole case that needs replacing. Either way this wasn't too hard a dismount and seems like it could easily happen during alot of common falls.

Has anyone experienced this issue and are there any guards or protectors or other methods to prevent this from happening again? Oh yeah, I had also ordered a longer shifter from Hammerhead, it is on back order, I wonder if that would have helped?

The shift lever puncturing the side case is common after a fall. What many do is sand the inner corners of the shift lever thereby rounding the lever. I have seen pictures of JB weld and a quarter as a fix for a punctured case. For the opposite side, it is wise to sand the inner teeth of the brake lever to help avert a punctured clutch cover.