Sign in to follow this  

Oil weight - DRZ400sm

Hot climate, hard street riding. I know the manual calls for 10w-40, but have seen recommendations on 15w-50, but was unsure if that was for the sm model.

At the risk of starting another oil thread just put this in it.

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/product_p/drz400_oilchange_kit.htm

I saw that and thought it was really cool of them to save me two different trips, but...I'm an Amsoil guy. Couldn't find a whole lot of info. on this type of Silkolene, and the info. I did find suggested using the street, not off road oil.

oil thread dread...all models have same engine...searching oil will pull up all kinds of info on this,,as for amsoil i use the Amsoil motorcycle synth 20-50, good stuff.

I'm not asking for opinions on oil, I'm asking for opinions on the WEIGHT of oil to use in my climate/riding conditions.

I'm not asking for opinions on oil, I'm asking for opinions on the WEIGHT of oil to use in my climate/riding conditions.

15w50

According to the 2006 DRZ400 sm owners manual pg 2-3, recommended oil for 14-104+ degrees is 20w-50; 0-104+ 15w-40 or 15w-50; -4-104+ is 10w-40 or 10w-50; -4-86 degrees its 10w30. The general wisdom is the hotter the clime the heavier the oil. So if you're in a hot climate its 20w-50, that's what I run as I don't like to ride under 40 degrees as my ba!!s get too cold and it takes all day to warm back up!

It's amazing the difference between a plastic tank and a metal one, when I was a kid I rode my dirt bikes year round.

Edited by JoshTT06DRZ
added info

Thanks Josh. Just submitted my order for 20w-50. Unfortunately, I don't have an owners manual. Downloaded the service manual, but it doesn't tell me the basics!

No problem Teedubb, I didn't get a manual with mine either so I found the previous owner (I bought from a second hand dealer) on face book messaged him, asked if he still had it and the rear master cylinder guard that was missing. He did so I paid postage plus $5 for him to send it to me! Worked out pretty good.