DR-Z 400s Millage

I am thinking about getting a DR-Z 400s however the only ones i can find in my price range have about 6,000 miles on them, so I was wondering at what miles do parts seem to need replacing on them? I enjoy working on bikes/ cars I just don't wanna get into something that needs a lot of expensive parts that will need replacing soon.

Different riders wear parts differently. Reguardless of miles.

I have 17,xxx miles on my 07sm and it's only needed a new chain, battery, stator, grips,spark plugs. Not much and I ride year round when I'm not Injured.

Some need these things yearly

6000 miles:lol: barley broken in. the motors good for 30,000 these bikes are tough. my 09 has 7000 and is still runs like new.

Over 10,000 miles on my 400s, mostly off road. Other than basic maintenance items I have just replaced the chain and sprockets for the second time. ( OEM + 2 ). Mine is a 2006 model.

Well that defiantly helps my decision, they look like really nice bikes and if they are that reliable then sounds like you can't go wrong with one

Well that defiantly helps my decision, they look like really nice bikes and if they are that reliable then sounds like you can't go wrong with one

they are really nice bikes that can handle most anything you throw at it: adventure touring, single track, commuting, and what ever else you can think of.

reliable and decently cheap.....cant go wrong:thumbsup:

10k miles on my '07 400s and it's on it's second battery, just went to it's 2nd chain and sprockets. Otherwise it eats knobbies but that's more my riding style. My first had 14k miles and was on the same when it got stolen. (Yes, replaced it with a newer version of the same thing).

Living next to Deal's Gap (Aka the Dragon) I see the 400sm's held wide open all day and even run hard and put away wet nothing seems to happen until around the 12-15k mark. That's where I have seen a handful of blown motors. Keep in mind, the ones I have seen are far from what I would call well maintained... they are the sort that gripe that things happen when they jump on them, crank them up, and keep them on the redline when cold, never change the oil, etc. Not exactly what a typical owner does to their machine.

The nice thing? If something does go wrong, it's not a drama. It's an opportunity for an upgrade! :smirk:

16500 all on knobs! 05' S

i have 17000 on my 08. i do regular maintenance that is somewhere between the factory manual recommendations and the 500 mile oil change fanatics. i recently changed the chain and sprockets and the grips. the only mods have been 3x3, k and n air filter, and jd jetting. valve clearance is good the last time i checked. the great thing about this bike is that i feel it is running better than ever. were hell to freeze over and you bought my bike, i am sure you would enjoy it for a long time to come...

4400 on my 2000 400s and it needs a new bottom end. after talking to the dealer they informed me to not ride them on the highway...

i will have an aprilia as a next dual sport/motard... cant be any worse. i am disappointed in my drz400s.

4400 on my 2000 400s and it needs a new bottom end. after talking to the dealer they informed me to not ride them on the highway...

i will have an aprilia as a next dual sport/motard... cant be any worse. i am disappointed in my drz400s.

did you buy this new? of course 4400 miles on a 11 year oil bike was probably your problem. condensation from sitting. Dealers are idiots. you do need to run anything with a motor. thats only 400miles per year. I do that in 2 days. There will always be some lemons no mater what you get but with the DRZ400 i havent hear of a lemon in the 2 years iv been on this site.

Change the oil every 500-800 miles change to the MCCT and do the Loctite fixes. Make sure you check the oil the same way every time , from cold let it run for 3 mins , turn off let it sit for a further 3 mins and check , clean and check the gauze filter in the bottom of the frame as well.

The stators play up after a while my starter has just failed after 9 years and 37000 miles :smirk: apart from that there near on bomb proof baring abusing them. :smirk:

37000 miles??? damn..

I have 23,627 and it runs mint. I always used 10/30 synthetic oil too.

just replaced stator.

Uhhh... what gauze filter at the bottom of the engine??

JT

I've got 14k on my 09 SM. I use it as a stunt bike/jump bike/daily driver. Still runs great, but she's bone stock except for some weight reduction. Change the oil every 1000 miles. Keep everything else clean and lubed. I may need a new clutch basket and my fork seals just went from the previously-mentioned jumping. I believe packman is referring to the screen filter at the bottom of the frame oil tank. I cleaned mine after 9,000 miles, but there was only a tiny bit of junk in it.