AZ heat means Rebuild Time!!!

Here in Mesa,AZ, my riding season pretty much ends as soon as the outside temp is above 90. So I look forward to the summer time to perform any repairs, upgrades, mods, or rebuilds. This summer my 06 CRF450R is getting a complete engine refresh, new head, and race tech susension. I just wanted to throw out my ideas for what I plan to install into the motor. Hopefully some of you will be running a settup close to my idea and have some input for me!

Hot Rod Crank (stock stroke)

OEM Piston/Rings or Maybe Wiseco

OEM bearings, seals and gaskets

Big Bore Thumper's head (stock replacement bolt on)

Kenz Cycle mild play porting on cylinder

Rekluse Z-Start clutch

I ride a variety of terrain.... track, dunes, desert, forest, single track.

Im looking to build a good all around strong motor, thats going to last a long time and be very reliable.

youd be better off having BigBore Thumper do the port work. Instead of getting a new head with new valves and seats and then handing it to a guy with a porting tool hoping he can keep it away from the seat...

youd be better off having BigBore Thumper do the port work. Instead of getting a new head with new valves and seats and then handing it to a guy with a porting tool hoping he can keep it away from the seat...

I didn't know Big Bore did port work. Normally what gets ported? Is it the head, cylinder or both? Does BB do quality port polish work?

Seems most people prefer the Core EXP over the Z-Start clutch. Not saying which way you should go but curious as to why you are choosing it over the EXP?

Joe

Here in Mesa,AZ, my riding season pretty much ends as soon as the outside temp is above 90. So I look forward to the summer time to perform any repairs, upgrades, mods, or rebuilds. This summer my 06 CRF450R is getting a complete engine refresh, new head, and race tech susension. I just wanted to throw out my ideas for what I plan to install into the motor. Hopefully some of you will be running a settup close to my idea and have some input for me!

Rekluse Z-Start clutch

Im looking to build a good all around strong motor, thats going to last a long time and be very reliable.

Why? All the tracks are open at night

Normally what gets ported?

the head..... bigborethumpers.com has them ready to go for about less than a $1000 :smirk: sounds like you plan on spending some dough:banana:

http://bigborethumpers.com/porting.html

The Cinders in the Summer.... Braaaap!

Seems most people prefer the Core EXP over the Z-Start clutch. Not saying which way you should go but curious as to why you are choosing it over the EXP?

Joe

Well mostly price. zstarts new are around $600, exp about $900 from what I know. Im gonna try to find one used. What is the differance between the two? My buddys bike has the zstart and its pretty sweet!

the head..... bigborethumpers.com has them ready to go for about less than a $1000 :smirk: sounds like you plan on spending some dough:banana:

http://bigborethumpers.com/porting.html

Yea I've seen those,pretty sweet! But I've had Kenz cycle tech do porting and other machine work for me many times. Always excellant results. I can get my stock head ported for around $150.

Rekluse Z-Start clutch

Just a crazy concept to me. Here in Idaho, it's like in the 40s today and there's so much snow in the mountains that you can't even ride yet. There's a few trails opening up on southern faces but then the snow depth is 10 feet when you cross over to the other side. All there really is right now is dune riding or heading to the southern part of the state. Maybe I should head to Arizona in the winter time...

Rekluse Z-Start clutch

Keeping the engine cool is the most important thing. Get a Boysen water pump, a high pressure radiator cap, an in-line cooler, and a motion pro overflow tank and put it behind the number plate and use engine ice. That works great for me but if you are still overheating, then also get after market radiators.

Keeping the engine cool is the most important thing. Get a Boysen water pump, a high pressure radiator cap, an in-line cooler, and a motion pro overflow tank and put it behind the number plate and use engine ice. That works great for me but if you are still overheating, then also get after market radiators.

Im not having an bike overheating problem at all. Actually its me that over heats! I hate riding in the summer heat!

Just a crazy concept to me. Here in Idaho, it's like in the 40s today and there's so much snow in the mountains that you can't even ride yet. There's a few trails opening up on southern faces but then the snow depth is 10 feet when you cross over to the other side. All there really is right now is dune riding or heading to the southern part of the state. Maybe I should head to Arizona in the winter time...

Well I have two bikes, the CRF and a 02 CR250. So I do get some riding in during the summer. Night tracks sometimes, up north forest riding, and maybe early early morning rides. But my major rebuilding and mods I like to do in the off season. Then its dunes, desert, or track every weekend from Halloween to Easter.:smirk: