Sign in to follow this  

a few question tw200

this is my first post on this forum......if i do something wrong, let me know.

i bought my wife a 94 tw200{stock}, and i was wanting to know how i could get some more power out of this thing. i ride a dr350{one of my bikes}, and my wife just cant seem to keep up. i though about going up i tooth on the front spocket, but i dont think the bike will have enough power to pull the gear. anyhow..........any hints?? i would like to get it to run 60-65 mph WITHOUT straining the guts out of the bike.

By nature, they are slow luggy bikes. Depending on your riding, changing the sprockets is the cheapest rout. A larger top end is possible but I don't think the value is there for what you would get out of it. Just rap it out in the RPMs at 60 to 65, it will be fine.

When I owned and regularly rode my 1987 and 2000 model TWs, I felt that it's natural and comfy-feeling cruising speed on the street was about 40 mph.

It's just a 200cc little bike made for puttering around on back roads and riding off-road at a slow pace (where it is very good, as in blazing new trails, where speed doesn't matter).

Expecting a TW-200 to easily keep up with a DR-350S at 65 mph without having to wind it out is like expecting a VW Bug to easily keep up with some 5-liter muscle car.

65 mph is probably it's outright top speed.

How fast did you think it would go, anyway?

As mentioned, you can try gearing it up, but, like you already assumed, you'll just be asking the little, mild-mannered, 195cc engine to pull taller gearing.

I think if you and your wife are going to be riding at those street speeds often, it's time for her to be on a bike that can easily do that.

i bought the bike a couple days ago for her to ride with me when i go dual sporting. the bike has 6,000 and i only paid $400 for it. we have street bikes we ride, and dirtbikes we ride, but this is the only dualsport bike that is lower enough for her to ride.

$400 for a TW-200 that runs ain't too bad at all. :smirk:

Myself, I'd just accept the bike for what it is (especially if it is one of the few bikes low enough for her) and pick a slower route on the street.

Quite a few go to a 45 tooth rear sprocket to get more top end. Mine was this way when I got it, and I changed it back to a 50... Gives more slow-speed grunt and control on the trails. It raps out at 55, just like the speedometer shows, but heck, the highway is just a route to get to the trails!

If you want something fast, the XT has another gear, and is about the same price. Still simple (air-cooled) and fairly light weight, but the seat is about 2" higher IIRC.

The TW will handle the rpm's easily at 60mph....may sound like it's going to blow,but it's not. Most folks ,including myself ,have a hard time listening to an engine rev high....this is part of the TW's design...it's redline is between 9,500 and 10,000....60 mph it's only pulling 7700ish...it'll be fine.:busted::busted:

• Like 1

You got a great deal on the bike, but I don't think you're going to achieve what you looking to do. The XT250 has plenty of power and tops out stock at 80. (mine does anyhow)

this is my first post on this forum......if i do something wrong, let me know.

i bought my wife a 94 tw200{stock}, and i was wanting to know how i could get some more power out of this thing. i ride a dr350{one of my bikes}, and my wife just cant seem to keep up. i though about going up i tooth on the front spocket, but i dont think the bike will have enough power to pull the gear. anyhow..........any hints?? i would like to get it to run 60-65 mph WITHOUT straining the guts out of the bike.

Also,if you have not rejetted.....do it!. Usually only the main jet needs replaced on the TW,the pilot screw seems to take care of the rest...you already have a foam air filter(OEM). The rejetting did wonders for my TW.

Again..........60 mph is not going to strain the TW engine..yes it will sound like it's going to blow up,but it won't.....it's a short stroke engine.

Man...no additional replies since Nov. 2011!...eeekkkk. Anyway,the more I learn about the TW 200 engine(reading in other forums) the more respect and admiration I have for this "little" 196cc DS!. Alot of riders(power junkies) poke alot of fun(derogatory comments) at the TW and their operators. Well,the TW can go any place other bikes will go...only slower. The TW's setup,torque-HP,gearing and the tires alot for an in-expensive alternative to adventure riding,trail riding or just cruisin down secondary roads......what a sensible machine!.

No posts since November isn't any surprise , being as the OP hadn't posted since 6 Months before that .

I would have bought a TW if I could have found one in decent shape for something a bit less than a life's earnings .

Myself, I don't poke fun at TW-200s, and I've owned and ridden (with my own money out of my own pocket) two of them in the past, as I've written above.

My first was the 1987 model, and the second was a 2000 model.

Same machine except for the shape of the turn signal lights, decals, and retail price.

I often recommend a TW-200 for somebody who is either looking to do the kind or riding it does well, or seems like the kind of rider the bike is intended for.

The kind of riding the bike does well is when going slowly.

That's why macho men (even if they just began shaving once a week) make fun of the bike:

It isn't fast and the short suspension makes the bike look slow at a standstill.

The reason it isn't fast is because when doing the kind of riding the bike was made for, you won't be going fast, and the kind of riding it's made for is trail riding at a slow pace.

My favorite kind of trail riding I'd do on my TW-200s was blazing my own trail throught the woods at a slow pace.

Exploration, in other words.

You don't see guys out in the middle of the dense woods exploring unknown and unseen terrain on YZ-450Fs or CR-500Rs very often, and I can tell you that manovering those bikes through the woods without a trail there is more difficult.

Edited by YZEtc
  • Like 1

And , that about covers it . :lol:

My XT350 isn't too bad at exploring . I just wish it weighed a hundred pounds less when I have to pick it up . :bonk:

Just picked up one of these (95, with a street title ) for $400, has 11000 miles. I figured for this price, it's a no brainer. My son laughs as he he rides a cr 250. I also have another ( 05 DRZ 400 e ) . I figure I can easily flip it for $1200, come spring. ( more cash for my street bikes, and to dual sport the DRZ ) Rubber side down.

$400....not bad at all....quite a bit less than a life's earnings.....eh?.Good machines.

$400....not bad at all....quite a bit less than a life's earnings.....eh?.Good machines.

Yeah, they are a lot of fun. I decided to keep it, and introduce new people to the sport with it. Today, we extended and attached a milk crate to the rear rack to carry a friend's Brittany Spaniel. Taking her out for a longer ride tomorrow. I like to watch other peoples' reaction when they see her on the back with her nose in the wind. I have also done some exploring on it, Trout fishing, camping, and the list goes on and on. Power scouting for deer will definitely be on the agenda for September. Rubber side down , Dave