Sign in to follow this  

Steering Dampner for 08' Beta 450 rr?

I just picked up this bike used and it is fantastic. The steering is exceptionally fast but I think a dampner would be a huge benefit. Any ideas on a good system that will fit this bike? Tough to find info. on the net.

Scotts makes a real nice over the bar mounting kit for their damper for Betas. You must specify which of the four bar mounting positions you prefer. I asked for position #4, the most forward position (furthest from the rider). The position #4 mounting kit comes with a longer damper link arm due to the more forward position of the damper.

Incidentally, I find the steering on my '09 RS not to be 'exceptionally fast'. It steers very well but has slower more stable steering than any of my three KTM's.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess what I meant by "fast" is ease of steering. I too like the steering better then both a former KTM and Husaberg. Heck, I like the Beta better overall. The power delivery is so smooth and it can lug down and track like no bike I have ever ridden. Still in the honeymoon faze I suspect.

Thanks for the help guys. I guess what I meant by "fast" is ease of steering. I too like the steering better then both a former KTM and Husaberg. Heck, I like the Beta better overall. The power delivery is so smooth and it can lug down and track like no bike I have ever ridden. Still in the honeymoon faze I suspect.

I'm still in the honeymoon faze. I went riding today and the bike worked flawlessly....long honeymoon. I got my setup from americanbeta I think. I was trying to go cheap initially and find if I could find a used scotts damper and find out if the ktm setup worked etc........ I later just told my dealer to order one for me. I should have just done that from the beginning. Threatracing I believe has it on their site also if I'm not mistaken. I just got the basic stock setup for my 09' 525 RS. It works better but not a huge difference. I also have not played with settings so I have to work on that. I haven't even played with suspension setting much and it works awesome. Just imagine how much better it could be.:smirk:

Do your self a huge favor, we have several thousand miles racing, go with the Scotts. I always have them in stock.

I run an Ohlins SD511 damper on mine but it is an engineering excercise to adapt it to a Beta.

I ran Scotts for 10 years on my prvious bikes. They are the best IMO. Excellent service. The damper was mfg by Ohlins for years (maybe still) and marketed by Scotts.

It has the best reliability compared to the other brand mentioned.

Regarding steering feel. I cannot reiterate enough that you have to get your spring rates properly setup for your weight prior to making any changes. This is the most critical factor in steering and suspension performance.

I see way to many of these Beta's are undersprung for the riders weight.

Too much sag in the rear will create understeer and too much sag in the front will ride harsh and oversteer. Get it balanced then judge and adjust.

Once setup correctly they handle as well or actually better than any bike I have ridden.