Sign in to follow this  

Maintenance on a 250?

Hey I've been riding my TTR-125 for a while now and I am getting a new bike. I want a 250 and I found one that I think I will buy. It is a 2004 Kawasaki KX 250. My TTR was really low maintenance and I am worried the 250 might be to much for me to handle. So if you could help me out what things would I be doing after each ride, Month and so on. I have access to a terch shop and all the tools I could ever need. Also what would the price of daily maintenance be for me to do?

Thank you,

Bryce

yea its definately more work than a 125, especially if its that old and used of a 250

well it depends if the bike is a 2 or a 4 stroke because you said kx 250?

:smirk:

yea its definately more work than a 125, especially if its that old and used of a 250

Woah woah, old? It's a 2004... not that old! Especially if it was well taken care of...

A 250 is going to be more work, but not by any means TOO MUCH work... A 250 isn't going to wear as quickly as say, a two stroke 125, because you're not going to be pushing it to it's full potential. A two stroke is also going to be cheaper to maintain than a four stroke. Maybe not the TTR because that's a pretty small bike, but definitely a ton cheaper than a 250F.

The extra work is WELL worth the extra power you're going to get. Get ready for the funnest bike you will ever ride. :smirk:

Woah woah, old? It's a 2004... not that old! Especially if it was well taken care of...

A 250 is going to be more work, but not by any means TOO MUCH work... A 250 isn't going to wear as quickly as say, a two stroke 125, because you're not going to be pushing it to it's full potential. A two stroke is also going to be cheaper to maintain than a four stroke. Maybe not the TTR because that's a pretty small bike, but definitely a ton cheaper than a 250F.

The extra work is WELL worth the extra power you're going to get. Get ready for the funnest bike you will ever ride. :smirk:

2004 is about as old as 250f's get, but if its a kx, then he will be fine.

2004 is about as old as 250f's get(minus yzf):smirk:

True. That still doesn't make it an "old" bike in general though. But I was assuming he meant two stroke... since he didn't add the F in the title or thread.

If it's a 250 smoker it will be very low maintenance for a race bike, and really not all that much more than your TTR. If it's an 04 250f, step away from the motorcycle now. That bike was riddled with problems.

If it's a 250 smoker it will be very low maintenance for a race bike, and really not all that much more than your TTR. If it's an 04 250f, step away from the motorcycle now. That bike was riddled with problems.

I wouldn't call it "very low maintenance"...

You will always be mixing gas, adjusting carb settings, tires, brake fluid, transmission oil etc...

Alright Thanks alot for the help I think I will buy the bike. Sorry about the confusion it is a KX 250 not KXF. The guy selling it owns about 5 bikes and he's a mechanic so from what I can tell it is a well maintained bike. Thanks again for the help

Alright Thanks alot for the help I think I will buy the bike. Sorry about the confusion it is a KX 250 not KXF. The guy selling it owns about 5 bikes and he's a mechanic so from what I can tell it is a well maintained bike. Thanks again for the help

Awesome.... he should be able to write up what maintenance needs to be done to the bike and when easily for you then. Make sure he does this before you buy it! Ask about what oils he's using etc, also. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

Be careful... you're moving from a 125 4t to a 250 2t... it's going to be a beast! :smirk:

That doesn't mean squat! I know a plastic surgeon who's wife is ugly as sin!

hahaha ^^^^

And that will be a HUUUUGGGGEEEEE jump from a 125 4t...be very careful

I wouldn't call it "very low maintenance"...

You will always be mixing gas, adjusting carb settings, tires, brake fluid, transmission oil etc...

I said "very low maintenance for a race bike"...

Parts like tires, chains, and brake pads will wear out faster as the bike makes so much more power, and goes so much faster. The most noticeable maintenance difference is that the air filter will need to be cleaned much more often.

UPDATE:

Thanks for the help I got the bike and I am having a blast with all the extra power. The maitenance has been not bad so far and I am doing fine. One more question with the bike I got an extra set of 2006 Pro Circuit shocks with cracked seals. How much would I be able to sell these shocks for??