Sign in to follow this  

DIRT BIKE rear hand brake with clutch?!

I have a 95 xr.200 that I mainly use for trail riding, and I would like to instal a rear brake hand lever. I have seen a few thread on this for motorcycles but none for dirt bikes. Also I have drum bakes in the rear, so I cant use master cylinders. Any advice is appreciated

cable pull helps- might be able to use a bicycle brake lever - they come in all sizes and there's even some with adjustable ratios.

stunt 50 gave me a idea, the biggest they make is a kit for a 100. but the swing arm is thinner than mine thus it wont work. so i think i will try to borrow a welder and fab the bracket my self. then it will just be about getting a suitable cable.

well i did it. got a welder from my dads company and fabbed up a bracket. going to possibly test fit today, but i just got a call about selling the bike. so i may be rightback at square one

On the street bike section of thumper talk some guy did this, I think it was 2 perch's on the left side and he claimed he worked the clutch with his index finger and the brake with his middle finger at the same time, he had photoes and stuff so if you can find it it might be helpful. I can't remember the title but it was on the same subject your talking about, try a search and see what pops up.

It may have been in engineering and technology as well.

problem with that is my bike has a drum rear brake, so i have to find a way to have to levers run to the same brake. not just a mastercyclinder, like he did

I ran into a fella on the trails the other day, he had a rekluse auto clutch installed and had the clutch perch just turned into a rear brake lever. I do think he worked on the rear brake setup to get it right. Can you do a conversion to a rear disk? This setup actually sounds very good for tight woods like im in all the time.

I planned a LHRB for a XR200 with a read drum brake. Two options; cable pulls the brake pedal arm that pulls the brake rod, cable pulls a two piece brake rod. The second bypasses the brake pedal return spring for a lighter lever pull but requires a two section brake rod. Both require cable anchor brackets and a custom long clutch cable.

I now have a rear disc so I may go with a cable pull for the rear master cylinder, or use a clutch master cylinder with a stunt bike conversion.

Have said that I've been practicing riding skills in difficult situation on my Trials bike, I may not need a LHRB.

Edited by chuck4788

i would love to do a rear disk conversion, but that would require a new swing arm, which i dont really want to do now(im already looking at a fork swap to get a disk up front) also since my bike is a 95 i cant get a rekluse clutch.

I ran into a fella on the trails the other day, he had a rekluse auto clutch installed and had the clutch perch just turned into a rear brake lever. I do think he worked on the rear brake setup to get it right. Can you do a conversion to a rear disk? This setup actually sounds very good for tight woods like im in all the time.

I planned a LHRB for a XR200 with a read drum brake. Two options; cable pulls the brake pedal arm that pulls the brake rod, cable pulls a two piece brake rod. The second bypasses the brake pedal return spring for a lighter lever pull but requires a two section brake rod. Both require cable anchor brackets and a custom long clutch cable.

I now have a rear disc so I may go with a cable pull for the rear master cylinder, or use a clutch master cylinder with a stunt bike conversion.

Have said that I've been practicing riding skills in difficult situation on my Trials bike, I may not need a LHRB.

im going to go with a cable run straight to the rear brake, i already fabbed up a bracket from 5/16x 3/4 steel. its a two part design ill post pics when i can

welll bracket is bolted n, ran the cable, now i just need to secure the cable. one thing i dont like is my left side is a little cluttered. two levers, kill switch and a hedlight switch