Removing front wheel...

TC 250

Can anyone tell me what size allen wrench I need for the axle bolt? And for the non bolt side of axle, do I need a special tool?

Also, are there any tricks or tips? Loosen four bolts and then loosen axle bolt and slide axle out?

Thanks

Edited by rover7

12 mm or possibly 2 6mm's jammed in there (this I saw done on a Baja trip in the field where a front tire needed a new tube). The 12 mm is not commonly available at your local auto parts or tool place (like Sears) and many have special ordered them from various places. The fix, eventually, is to buy a 15 mm stainless steel (uptite racing, George 1 714 540-2920) or aluminum axle nut. (www.motosportz.com Kelly) for around $29 or so. There is also a wrench avail ($15) from Kelly that has a 15mm on one end and the 27mm on the other for the rear axle nut. Also avail from Cafe Husky.com

Some people have also made their own by welding two nuts together where one fits in the allen and the other is turned with a wrench. If you weld or know someone that does it's a pretty cool option.

Here's something I saved from another discussion. Towards the end it tells you how to re-install the front wheel. This came from George Erl, owner of Uptite Husqvarna and all around Husky guru.

Now that the debate on torque values is over.??? When you set LH fork leg heigth in the clamp Do Not think the other side will be the same, get it close then set it by how the axle goes in. You might have to either lower or raise it, so the axle goes in smooth. You can usually see it hitting the top or bottom of the axle hole on the LH side. Once you get the axle to just slide gently from one side to the other it is lined up properly. Now one side might be up or slightly down on the rings this is ok and it is right. You can tell if have to use palm of your hand or mallet to get the axle thru the forks when putting front wheel on. Later George

After the forks are installed to the correct heigth(where you want them), where the axle slides thru nicely, torque the clamp bolts both sides upper and lower to specs. With wheel installed and axle nut tight, thighten lower fork leg axle pinch bolts on the LH side( making sure the grab bar on the RH side of the axle is not touching the fork protecter)now slam it into a wall then tighten the axle pinch bolts on the RH side.

If while riding and you smack anything log, rock,get caught in a rut where you've dragged the lower leg, or rubbed it hard just loosen the pinch bolts and give it a good smack into anything solid to realign it on the axle. I think this is main reason other than dirt contamination fork seals wear out and leak. Later George

Thanks, I think that makes sense, besides the slamming into a wall part. What the hell am I slamming into a wall? haha

Thanks, I think that makes sense, besides the slamming into a wall part. What the hell am I slamming into a wall? haha

the front wheel. just take the bike about 6 or 8 feet from a wall and run the front tire against it. Car bumper would do too.

I've watched him take the bikes out of the crate, put on the wheel and go through this on every bike he sells. Also seen him set up the forks and they don't always line up on the marks the same at the top. What's important is the axle slides in easy.

:smirk:

12 mm or possibly 2 6mm's jammed in there (this I saw done on a Baja trip in the field where a front tire needed a new tube). The 12 mm is not commonly available at your local auto parts or tool place (like Sears) and many have special ordered them from various places. The fix, eventually, is to buy a 15 mm stainless steel (uptite racing, George 1 714 540-2920) or aluminum axle nut. (www.motosportz.com Kelly) for around $29 or so. There is also a wrench avail ($15) from Kelly that has a 15mm on one end and the 27mm on the other for the rear axle nut. Also avail from Cafe Husky.com

Some people have also made their own by welding two nuts together where one fits in the allen and the other is turned with a wrench. If you weld or know someone that does it's a pretty cool option.

I bought a 12 MM hex wrench from Sears, the "L" shaped style.

Only a few bucks, I don't need it anymore since I put the aftermarket style axel nut on there, if you were not so far away I would give it to You :smirk:

Only a few bucks, I don't need it anymore since I put the aftermarket style axel nut on there, if you were not so far away I would give it to You :smirk:

Oh thanks so much for the thought. I ordered one from sears but it won't be here till next week. In the meantime, I tried a 10mm with a 1.5 at the same time and I broke it loose. Kinda scary, cause I hardly twisted it, so I guess it wasn't all that tight to begin with. Gonna have new front tire mounted and throw her back on this coming week. Slamming it into a wall makes more sense now that I removed the wheel. I guess slamming it into a wall aligns everything.

can you point to a link of the wrench you are talking about?, and is this for the allen wrench side, or the other side?

Just bought my used 2010 te250 and had no idea that i need something special for removing the front tire.

I'd be willing to buy yours if i can't find one locally (i guess its time to order more stuff from motosportz)

I thought I got one of those in my '08 SM610ie's tool kit. Didn't Husky give those out?

my 2010 te250 did not come with a tool kit, according to the original owner.

No tool kits since 08, maybe earlier

The 610/630 get a tool kit, the rest do not since 2006

My 06 TE450 did not have much in the tool kit, a spark plug socket, another gizmo that I still have no clue what it is and one wrench and a screwdriver

Maybe some one who put them together robbed the kit, i don't know.

But a 12 mm allen wrench is cheap, if you go with the motosportz or another brand axel nut you won't even need that. My local Sears has the 12mm hanging on the rack, but even if you order one from an online source your only looking at a few days.