Ttr250 amazing!!

I can hardly believe what I am about to post. I picked up 2002 TTR250 last week on the cheap because it was not running. All it really needed was some carb love. I got off easy by putting some SeaFoam in the carb and letting it do its magic.

So today some friends and I took a CR250, CRF450X and the TTR250 out for some serious trailriding.

I own both the CRFX and the TTR, but started off on the TTR. I could not believe how plush the suspension is on this thing. The only thing I did before we went out was to put 2 lbs air pressure in each of the front forks. Otherwise it felt too soft as a bench test.

These trails consist of some atv trails, single track and then the single track with the nasty step-ups and nastier drop-offs. Ok, this bike does not have the explosive power of either Honda, but it absolutely does not need it. My friends could not lose me no matter what they did. This bike chugged through everything. They would get away from me when they first hit their throttles, but really only gaining a few small seconds here and there. I was able to more than make up for it in the tight and nasty trail sections.

I really only picked this bike up because it was cheap and I had NO expectations that I would possibly want to keep it any longer than one test ride and maybe sell for a small gain. But now I am not so sure I want to get rid of it. I can definitely tell you the TTR250 is a pleasant surprise package.

The only con I can think of is that the rear end was a little bouncy off some of the bigger type jump bumps. These were small jumpable hills on the connecting trails and sometimes it would buck up in the back as I went over---no endos or anything, just something I noticed. It may be that I just need to dial in the rear suspension.

I think my favorite thing was this:::when I came into turns at speed, I did not have to be so careful on soft pack as I was coming out of the turn. The TTR never breaks loose as there is no real burst of power at the low end. It just mellows you around the turns and I was able to go faster in turns than the power bikes. I watched their back wheels break out on the loose dirt sometimes, but I never did...and I stayed right on their heels.

We are all about equal as riders and everyone that rode it had the same raves as I did. Funny, now they ALL want this bike and insist that it comes out with us next time.

Every time I think I might be getting tired of my TTR, I ride someone else's bike or swap off and I realize I'm not missing much. Some bikes have more top end, but down low where I do my trail riding it just muscles through anything, climbs hills like a goat, and never breaks. The only thing I'd love to change is the lack of aftermarket and plastics.

Every time I think I might be getting tired of my TTR, I ride someone else's bike or swap off and I realize I'm not missing much. Some bikes have more top end, but down low where I do my trail riding it just muscles through anything, climbs hills like a goat, and never breaks. The only thing I'd love to change is the lack of aftermarket and plastics.

You mention the hill climbing ability of the TTR. There are some really steep and rocky climbs at this park where we rode and I was absolutely certain we were gonna have to drag this thing through the tough stuff. Never happened. In fact the TTR was the ONLY bike we brought out there that did not have to be pushed, pulled or backed down any of the hills for a reattempt---I have to admit it is pretty hilarious to go trucking by (at about 1 mph) the CR250 and the CRF450X stuck on the side of a hillclimb. AND to have to pass them in the harder lines because they were stuck in the easier lines...of course my friends did the same thing to me when I wasn't on the TTR.

Have you done any of the uncork mods mentioned in other threads? Funny, I think I like this bike just like it is but still kinda curious about modding opinions. Something about this being such a low speed tractor up the hills in its stock form is telling me to leave it be.

I think the TTR 250 is one of the better kept secrets around. I Had a 05 WR 250 F that i didn't enjoy nearly as much as the TTR. More maintenance and more complicated to work on so the WR went away and we still have the TTR. It is a great trail bike but I too would like to see more aftermarket support.

Have you done any of the uncork mods mentioned in other threads? Funny, I think I like this bike just like it is but still kinda curious about modding opinions. Something about this being such a low speed tractor up the hills in its stock form is telling me to leave it be.

Yeah, mine has the carb and airbox mods and a Pro-Circuit T4 pipe. It really woke the bike up, the throttle response is a lot better. The bike is just too lean and cold-hearted from the factory, IMHO, and a properly-jetted airhead will run cooler and be happier.

I might look into some of the no cost mod items. I know the bike performed very well at the park on the sketchy climbs. But there is that wee small voice in my head that will always say maybe it it wouldnt be a bad idea if it had just a tad more reserve power for any just in case situations.

I did that one mod where you back out the throttle limiter screw so you can at least open it all the way up when you need to.

I will try searching for any other mods...air box. I think my weak area on things like that is knowing how to jet for an air increase.

I bought my TTR 250 new in 2006 for a good deal after not riding for over 20 years. This bike has been a dream. Super low maintanence. I did the airbox mods and the Pro Circuit t-4 and as above mentioned really woke it up. And made it quite loud at the same time. But the throtte response compared to factory is way better. I hammer this thing in all situations and havn't been able to say the 250 has dissapointed. The suspension is the only complaint. But the bombproof reliability keeps me smiling.

I just bought an 04 ttr 250 for a great deal. I've only had the chance for a few short runs on it. So far I am really impressed overall. The main thing I've noticed is the lack of aftermarket parts. Just looking for a few things: wider footpegs, aftermarket fender, and a few things like that. If anyone has ideas where to look would be great! I was able to find some graphics at factoryeffex.com

Congrats on the new ride!! I had read about lack of aftermarket for it...but sounds like there are some mods you can do that bring it up to speed...prolly can find some items on ebay that you need. Lots of times the sellers list all the bikes that a part will fit...then I just doublecheck their crossreferencing on bikebandit to be sure.

Oh, just learned something else on this TTR...you cannot leave the ignition key in the ON position forever.

Since the lights never came on when I had it switched on, I figured there was no battery drain. WRONG...it will drain the battery, not right away but over time it does. Took nearly a week then bam, toast.

It did take a recharge though and seems to be holding it now for the past 2 days...fingers crossed as this was a new battery that came with the bike when I bought it the other week, alas no receipt for the batt tho.

• Like 1

Has anyone done any carb swaps like to a FCR or Mikuni? I am just curious because sometimes I think I would like to try something that has jets more readily available than the stock carb. But the stocker is working ok for now. I did have to replace the pilot adjustment needle and oring on mine due to the oring rotting and creating an air leak. I tried to buy just the oring but all they sell is the kit I guess.

Sam

I saw the whole fuel screw kit on ebay for around $12 delivered about two weeks ago.

I was going to order one because mine came out and went through the chain...but I could not order one in time for the ride we were going on, so I got out my micro file and some razor blades, refashioned it, bent it, etc...spent about an hour on it and finally got it to go back in. So it is working just fine, and now there is NO chance it will back out as boogered up as some of the threads are.

GottaAgree, GottaRoost.

I picked up an '05 on the cheap outta Craigslist and I absolutely love the thing. Granted, this is my first dirt bike after a 25 year absence, but what a versatile scoot.

I'm going to pick up another one next year for a 'borrow bike'. Initially it might feel tall and heavy for some folks, but once it's rolling smooth power and general good manners will put a grin on your face and confidence everywhere else.

Can't think of a bike that can crawl singletrack and put on 70 miles of rough dirt road with equal grace, and then be ready for the next ride with nothing more than a cleanup. TTR 250s are an overlooked gem, in my estimation.

photo.php?fbid=1929583924548&set=a.1929583324533.198920.1390715456&type=1&theater