how to ride in mx boots

i have always been a firm beleiver in work boots for ridding boots but i talked my self into geting some mx boots. I CAN NOT RIDE in them. i have to move my whole leg to shift and brake rather then just use my foot. HOW DO U Guys ride in these things?

The more expensive boots are hinged and make it easier from day 1. If the boots are not hinged then you do have to break them in some. You just have to wear them and ride in them. You will get used to it and then you will realize that the boots have other benefits like better support on jumps, better ankle support, etc... In the end the main reason to wear them is protection and you don't realize you need good boots until you get hurt.

How long did you try riding with them? I know first time I put them on I thought I was gonna have to go back to the house and change them, but after giving it a shot by the end of the day I was quite happy with having mx boots!

You'll get use to them... they have to break in some. My MX boots are seriously so comfortable I would rather wear them than any other pair of shoes I own... I'd wear them as slippers if I could. I seriously love them. LOL! ?

Takes a bit of getting used to. Getting them broke in is the key. Walk around, do squats in them ride, ride, ride and what ever it takes to get them broke in.

Had to threaten my teenager with a beat down for not wanting to work though the pain of getting used to them. Once used to they feel much better than work boots and safer also....

Good Luck

i have got them good and loose and i put them in water and walked around. just am a horrible rider with them on when ever i hit the brake the boots aply too much pressure and my back wheel locks up all the time.

BacK wheel locks up all the time, well now your riding, if you can't get use to them, buy SIDIs, best purchase i ever made but EXPENSIVE

I learned to ride in running shoes. Feeling the shift lever and rear brake was so easy. Felt real weird once I bought MX boots. After riding a couple days in them you get used to it. And After my first crash I was SO GLAD I had those boots on. Just keep riding and you'll grow more comfortable in them.

i have got them good and loose and i put them in water and walked around. just am a horrible rider with them on when ever i hit the brake the boots aply too much pressure and my back wheel locks up all the time.

I have the same problem with my flippers. I touch my rear brake and it locks up. I tend to use the front brake more because of it. I also made a bigger cleat for my brake pedal and that helped a lot

I feel your pain!!

Depends on what boots you bought, some are almost impossible for trail use. I had a pair of $300 plastic MX boots that were impossible to ride or walk. I eventually figured out how to shift but I couldn't tell when I missed the brake pedal, except for no brakes! They were like ski boots and I slipped and fell several times while walking. I now have SIDI Crossfires and they are great, I can shift, brake, and walk!

My all time favorite trail boots are an old pair of Gaerne leather MX boots but they don't have as much foot protection as the new plastic boots. I also have a pair of Gaerne three buckle leather Trials boots that are nice and flexible with a Vibram lug sole for walking. Leather boots can be made as waterproof as any plastic boot, just use SnoSeal (or any bees wax sealant). Warm the boots in an oven and melt the bees wax, then brush it into the seams and leather.

Like every one says you get what you pay for, i have always had the same problem, cheaper boots arent hinged and take some time to break in or in other words become a little softer and more flexible, you probably also find it hard to feel the gear lever or in other words have bad shifter feel which causes accidental shifting, well i did any way. Just bite the bullet and get yourself some good quality boots and you will get used to them much quicker. Now my only problem seems to be a lack of space between the foot peg and the gear lever.

well the boots i bought where some cheap 100 dollar oneal elements. and all i can say is either i suck at riding with boots or thees boots suck

If I'm correct in my assumption of those boots, they are mostly hard leather? Cheapest way I know is get some WD40...and soak the ankles. Go ride. Come back and do it again. A couple rides later you'll be in the game.

This is just my opinion, but if I were you, I'd use what ya got for now, but save your money and target some Gaerne GX-1's. I've seen them for well under $200. You won't regret it. That's the status quo entry level boot in my eyes, but if ya got the dough, the higher end boots by Gaerne, Sidi or Alpinestars can't be beat.

• Like 1

i have alpin tec 3s and im a very new rider owned my first bike for less then a month now and as we all know new riders fall and thats what i did and my first fall the bike landed on my leg and i was very glad that i had the boots on saved my ancle and my job ?