Sign in to follow this  

How would a stock 2009 400SM Fare Against

A 2011 CBR250? I know this is a silly question on a number of levels- including, but not limited to, the fact that the CBR like JUST came out and that 400 is a significantly larger number than 250- So, to save us all the time- When my friend goes and buys his 2011 CBR 250 tomorrow my 2009 SM is gonna womp on it, right? Novice to a thumper- forgive any obvious ignorance.

uh uh,,gearing.compresion.i don't think so i might be wrong, not stock sm anyway. the 250 tack max is like 12,500

I believe stock drz 0-60 is about 5.4 (In that video he did it in like 6.5ish) so it'll probably be close. Also, wind resistance is also a bitch.

The numbers ive seen only show hp numbers in the mid 20's with more weight. I wouldnt expect much from them.

Wow can't believe honda finally released another CBR250R...

This one is only single cylinder though.

If you are considering a sports bike, i would probebly look at the ninja 250, its a twin.

Here are some specs of the CBR

Top speed 87 mph (140 km/h)[1]

91.2 mph (146.8 km/h)[2]

Power 23.7 hp (17.7 kW) @ 9,900 rpm[1]

21.9 hp (16.3 kW) @ 8,500 rpm[2]

Torque 12.7 ft·lb (17.2 N·m) @ 7,400 rpm[1]

14.65 ft·lb (19.86 N·m) @ 6,750 rpm[2]

And to answer your original question, i would imagine the DRZ is better in every way.

Its more powerful, lighter, probably has shorter gearing and will handle better.

A 2011 CBR250? I know this is a silly question on a number of levels- including, but not limited to, the fact that the CBR like JUST came out and that 400 is a significantly larger number than 250- So, to save us all the time- When my friend goes and buys his 2011 CBR 250 tomorrow my 2009 SM is gonna womp on it, right? Novice to a thumper- forgive any obvious ignorance.

I hope you're talking about something other than a boring drag race ?

0-60 is such a poor measure of cars/bikes performance.

fuel economy, handling, smoothness of power, comfort, longevity.... they're multitudes of times more important, or else we'd all be repacking a solid rocket fueled drag bike every weekend. ya know ?

I ride offten ride with a ninja 250r which is roughly the same as the new cbr. my drz pisses all over it. They are roughly the same flat out, but everywhere else i pull away a lot lot quicker. why is this? My drz produces 35bhp and is much lighter than a ninja 250 which you might think has 33bhp. No they dont they have more like 25 max my friend has his dynoed and it ran 23.2 which i would think the cbr would also be around that mark.

Only thing the cbr probebly has going for it is the look. And it.will be more.comfortable then the drz...

Hi guys-

Thanks for all the info! 1. I'm clear on the fact that the DRZ is a better bike overall without question- Particularly here in NYC where the paved roads rival some offroad trails tracks for rough riding. 2. I tried very hard to get my friend to consider the DRZ as he'll also be riding in NYC, to no avail. 3. Once my Seat Concepts seat and Turbocity luggage arrives I will have the sweetest bike EVER!!

Also- Great to have a responsive community to bounce silly questions off of. Cheers!