Sign in to follow this  

Suspension Rebuild

Where is a good place to send in my front and rear suspension to get rebuild. I bought an 06 kx450f and went out for the first time this weekend. The suspension seems REALLY soft I tried to adjust it but no help. I also felt it bottoming out a few times. What can i expect to pay for a front and rear rebuild and who should I send it too?

I would suggest starting with making sure you have the right spring rates for your weight. Racetech.com has a good spring rate calculator.

Hope this helps

Ernie

Before paying all that money. Why not download the 2006 KXF450 manual linked in the FAQ. Change the fork oil, check the spring rates, set the clickers to stock and work from there.

Are you bottoming because your over shooting/under? Not on the throttle when landing? I'd do some more research before just sending them away!

I agree with Themitch......try working what you have.

If that does not work see TZR Racing. Tom is a GREAT guy, knows his stuff, will work with you to customize your suspension to fit your needs and he is affordable.

Good luck

Well I tried several adjustments and nothing. Today I took off the front forks. I can compress both forks by hand. Not good right???? Well I called Factory Connection and they are sending a box. Both thr fronts and the rear are going to get rebuilt.

Well I tried several adjustments and nothing. Today I took off the front forks. I can compress both forks by hand. Not good right???? Well I called Factory Connection and they are sending a box. Both thr fronts and the rear are going to get rebuilt.

So, how long have your fork seals been leaking.....?

Not sure. I bought the bike used. Of course the seller told me that nothing was wrong with the forks. He had just had them rebuilt. I guess I learned by lesson on buying used stuff. He also told me that nothing was wrong with the engine. $1800 later

If your stock 06 forks are worn, then don't spend any money on them. Instead throw them out and get some used 08 or later forks, and make those healthy. If the stock 06 forks are healthy, they still need some help to work properly, and I wouldn't say I'm really fussy. In stock form they are very harsh, yet they blow through the stroke easy too.

If your shock aint worn too bad, then any good suspension guy can make it work a lot better than stock. But you have to throw the stock 06 linkage in the trash, and get the 08 linkage (pull rods + rocker).

Got a call from Factory Connection yesterday. They received my stuff and are going to go over it. They told me that they are going to break everything down and let me know. I should get a call today to see what it needs. And of course, when my bike is in pieces, all my buddies want to go riding. Timing is great.

Just got the tracking number. WOW that is a fast turn around time. I should get everything back on Monday. They got them on Wednesday, I got a call Thursday and a return tracking number today.

Just got home and UPS left a big white box at my front door. Yes the suspension is back and already on the bike. I can hardly wait to go riding.

It'll be interesting to hear what you think. Surely a lot better if your 06 suspension was over due for new fluid and various seals. I'm guessing most your bottoming problem was because the suspension was worn out.

What type of riding, body weight and what springs in each end now?

My 06 forks felt twice as smooth as stock after their initial revalve. Mods were made to the shims, pistons and the ICS was softened. But the forks would too easily blow through the stroke on big hits and jar me badly. Next I put SPI3 fluid in them and they became twice as smooth again, and much less blow through. I thought they were good enough. Next one of my floating pistons cracked and had to be replaced, so I had both pistons drilled (common mod) and they held up fine, and that mod also helped smooth out the ride a bit. In hindsight I think the stock ICS rate would probably have been best for doing jumps, but I'm not sure and I believe that even with much work the 06 forks will always feel too soft for MX but at the same time too harsh. Like any rider I want plush but firm, so I gave up on the old legs and today put some healthy used '11 model forks on my 06. Hopefully I will test ride this weekend.

Here are some other really good mods for your 06 which will totally transform the bike's handling:

• The 08 front engine mount mod. Allows more side flex.
  • The 08 rear shock linkage. The stock 06 link has too much rising rate so it wallows and kicks all the time.
  • Hollow out the cylinder frame mounts (hangers) for more flex (vertical and sideways).
  • 22mm triples. So you can lay the bike over much easier. Even some cheap used 23mm 09 triples are a huge improvement.