Sign in to follow this  

Rear shock spring

Just wondering if anyone knows of somone making rear shock springs besides race tech? I've heard lots of people talking about race tech, but I can't seem to find anyone else out there that makes them and would like to shop around a little.

everyone goes with racetech... why fight the system? they've got the monopoly I'm sure.

Just wondering if anyone knows of somone making rear shock springs besides race tech? I've heard lots of people talking about race tech, but I can't seem to find anyone else out there that makes them and would like to shop around a little.

Factory Connection is the big one...Eibach does as well i think. There are a few options available im sure.

Edited by KLX450-DIRK

You can look up diverse suspension products they are a little cheaper. Or go the way I did and use a spring off other bikes. Mines a yz426 spring rated at 5.4 the kx 450 up to 09 is also 5.4 and the yz450 06-09 Are a 5.5 I'm not 100% on those years but if they are in your weight range it's alot cheaper to use them if your on a tight budget

Ordered the race tech one today.....you're right, why fight it? I'll let you guys know what I think. Thanks as always for the help.

I just put on my Race Tech rear spring last Sunday and I took a series of 35 pictures to help me get the bike back together the way it came apart (minus a few spare parts like the AIS pump). Let me know if you are interested and I will post them up.

tn_P1000388.JPG

That would be awesome! If it's too many pics to post you could pm them or email them to me.

I just put on my Race Tech rear spring last Sunday and I took a series of 35 pictures to help me get the bike back together the way it came apart (minus a few spare parts like the AIS pump). Let me know if you are interested and I will post them up.

tn_P1000388.JPG

What about the front springs?

I pulled my 5.4 off my CR500 that is collecting dust, cross-ref'd, they use the same spring....put the squishy spring on the CR for now. Whole shocks on ebay go for less than a new spring.

What about the front springs?

Well.. I have them. but.. I don't have that 49mm tool yet. And I have not picked a fork oil yet. I have been doing a lot a research on synthetics that have vicosity delta from 25c to 100c as low as possible in a heavy 5w or light 10w. I have regular Belray 10w in stock for my XR650 and that would probably be fine if I don't get something better. I will take pics when I do that too.

That would be awesome! If it's too many pics to post you could pm them or email them to me.

I am not sure what too many to post is. I am sure the moderator will let me know..

tn_P1000373.JPG

tn_P1000374.JPG

tn_P1000375.JPG

tn_P1000377.JPG

tn_P1000379.JPG

tn_P1000380.JPG

tn_P1000381.JPG

tn_P1000383.JPG

tn_P1000384.JPG

tn_P1000385.JPG

tn_P1000386.JPG

tn_P1000388.JPG

tn_P1000389.JPG

tn_P1000390.JPG

tn_P1000391.JPG

tn_P1000401.JPG

tn_P1000402.JPG

tn_P1000403.JPG

tn_P1000409.JPG

tn_P1000395.JPG

The limit was 20 pics. I have much larger images of the pics so if you have a specific one or two you need blown up (approx 5Meg each) PM me and I will email them to you.

That's actually perfect, thanks again. How long did the whole operation take you?

About 6 hours for everything, but a lot of time was spent trying to figure out how to break loose the front sprocket. I went from a 13 to a 12. My impact wrench would not break it loose. I endded up lashing the bike to the stand and putting a big iron bar in the spokes with the chain on to keep the engine from turning over, then about 300/ft lbs of torque and it broke loose. I also had trouble with the Applied Racing vent kit. The fittings were too small for the hoses. I endded up wrapping blue electricians tape(approx 4") to each hose barb to build it up to a point the hose with clamps were secure.

I think the spring change alone would be about 1 hr now and 2hr then.

Well I'll be tackling it soon so I'll let you know how it goes....what is that vent kit supposed to do? Not the ais removal, but the vent kit.