Sign in to follow this  

2011 Sidi Crossfires

Got myself a pair of 2011 Sidi Crossfire TA's this season. First time spending the big bucks on boots. Figured it would be worth it if I can get more than 2 seasons on them. Well 6 practise rides and one race later the inside hinge on one of the boots is already blown out :smirk:

Looking at what keeps it together it's a pretty hoakey system, looks like a failure waiting to happen..

Anyone else have issues with the 2011's new hinge system????

In the USA contacting http://motonation.com/ results in happiness - they are the USA importer for SIDI. At least I was happy when I called them and the parts showed up in a few days (that was 2 years ago).

I've no idea how things are done in Canada.

In the USA contacting http://motonation.com/ results in happiness - they are the USA importer for SIDI. At least I was happy when I called them and the parts showed up in a few days (that was 2 years ago).

I've no idea how things are done in Canada.

Well I bought them from Motosport, so they passed me on to Motonation. There voicemail is full, so I sent them an email.

We'll see what happens but either way I'm out of boots for a while :smirk:

Have to wear some of the old beat ones...

Hijack* How do the Sidi Cross Fire compare to SG10? They priced exactly the same overhere. Hijack off*

Well right now I'm sure not going to vouch for the Crossfires.....

Highest end boot around supposedly and the quickest I've ever seen a boot fail.

Lets see how they take care of me......

I had some problems with my 2010 Crossfire SRS and Motonaiton took complete care of it. Send me a Brand New Pair.

Now I agree it was dissapointing that I had problems at all, but nice to see how they handled the situaiton.

Pics

sidi011.jpg

sidi012.jpg

There is acrually a "C" clip that holds that hinge together. There should have been extra clipos in the bag of goodies that came with the boot. It's an easy, 2 min fix!

There is acrually a "C" clip that holds that hinge together. There should have been extra clipos in the bag of goodies that came with the boot. It's an easy, 2 min fix!

Cool thanks, I'll check now.

It looked as though there had to be some kind of clip there.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10357379&postcount=49BAJA PRODUCT TEST: SIDI CROSSFIRE BOOT- FAIL

SIDI1.jpg

Baja is the toughest testing grounds for any off road product and it’s not really a good place to “test” a product because if the product fails, then you might too. The open desert is unforgiving and brutal so eventually all products will fail in Baja at some point. But this brand new pair of SIDI’s lasted exactly 8 days before falling apart.

SIDI2-1.jpg

*Notice the round stud on the lower right of this photo popped out of the smaller hole in the center of photo

Granted I am pretty tough on all my gear. So, after using the cheap ass Alpine Stars Tech 3 boot for 4 seasons (2 pair total) I finally realized that the cheapo route was a bad way to go. The buckles on the Tech 3 were impossible to unstrap and I had to use a leatherman to get out every time.

So, before I set out on the Monster Energy 2011 Rip To the Tip from Tecate CA to Cabo San Lucas, I knew I had to get some new hardware. Looking around at some respected pros and bros, I found a deal on the SIDI Crossfire boot, a top of the line boot with a well known name. Some other bros, however, mentioned that they wore out quickly and not as durable as the Alpine Star Tech 8, 10 or the Gaerne.

After 8 days on “The Baja” the boot failed on the 9th day back at home. The inner heal hinge on the right boot came undone mysteriously, rendering the boot unusable as is.

SIDI3.jpg Assessment:

PROS:

Great Fit, Comfortable, Lightweight, And stylish. That’s all great at your local track or roosting around your toy hauler at Glamis

But none of that matters in the desert. It’s a piece of crap if a $450-$500 boot can’t last more than 8 days in Baja.

Footnote- It rained all day today at my favorite riding spot today called Tecate North...think I'll go for a ride tomorrow AM ...DOH!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10357379&postcount=49BAJA PRODUCT TEST: SIDI CROSSFIRE BOOT- FAIL

SIDI1.jpg

Baja is the toughest testing grounds for any off road product and it’s not really a good place to “test” a product because if the product fails, then you might too. The open desert is unforgiving and brutal so eventually all products will fail in Baja at some point. But this brand new pair of SIDI’s lasted exactly 8 days before falling apart.

SIDI2-1.jpg

*Notice the round stud on the lower right of this photo popped out of the smaller hole in the center of photo

Granted I am pretty tough on all my gear. So, after using the cheap ass Alpine Stars Tech 3 boot for 4 seasons (2 pair total) I finally realized that the cheapo route was a bad way to go. The buckles on the Tech 3 were impossible to unstrap and I had to use a leatherman to get out every time.

So, before I set out on the Monster Energy 2011 Rip To the Tip from Tecate CA to Cabo San Lucas, I knew I had to get some new hardware. Looking around at some respected pros and bros, I found a deal on the SIDI Crossfire boot, a top of the line boot with a well known name. Some other bros, however, mentioned that they wore out quickly and not as durable as the Alpine Star Tech 8, 10 or the Gaerne.

After 8 days on “The Baja” the boot failed on the 9th day back at home. The inner heal hinge on the right boot came undone mysteriously, rendering the boot unusable as is.

SIDI3.jpg Assessment:

PROS:

Great Fit, Comfortable, Lightweight, And stylish. That’s all great at your local track or roosting around your toy hauler at Glamis

But none of that matters in the desert. It’s a piece of crap if a $450-$500 boot can’t last more than 8 days in Baja.

Footnote- It rained all day today at my favorite riding spot today called Tecate North...think I'll go for a ride tomorrow AM ...DOH!

Same thing I'm hard on boots, race hare scrambles here in BC, lot's of rocks, roots, stumps......

I'm lucky if boots will last me 2 seasons.

Last pair was some Forma Dominators. got them at a great price $200, top of the line boot, 2 seasons soles and inners destroyed.

Pair before that was some Tech 3's. Fit and support is not the same but I used these 2 seasons and there still kicking around, just starting to fall apart.

Sidi Crossfires- supposedly the best boot out there......

6 practise rides and one race then issues. That's complete bull#*$# for a $500 boot :smirk:

Still looking for my bag of parts, and no response from Motonation yet.....

This is a PRIME example of why there is not a BEST boot for everyone. We all are built differently, ride differently, and require different things from our boots. The BEST boot for you is the boot that fits you the best, and works for you. I have a friend that just bought a pair of Gaerne SG10's...soles came unglued, and the upper wore through in less than 6 months. I've gone through a pair of Sidi Crossfires in a couple months, and A'stars never seem to fit me well. Gaerne boots seem to work for me. If I get a whole season out of my boots, I'm happy. I'm on my second yr with these latest pair of SG10's.

The clip coming off the hinge is pretty common with the Sidi Crossfire, that's why they include a bag of parts to repair it. I have gone through 4 pair of them and only had a hinge issue twice and fixed it in 5 minutes with the included parts. I still think of them as the perfect motocross boot and wouldn't hesitate to buy another pair.....but not at retail price.

I am currently wearing the Gaerne SG-12 and loving them.

Took the failed SIDI's into the retail dealer (great shop by the way) and they made some calls. They called me back and told me I had to appeal to the US distributor and email photos to them. They only check the email on Thursdays and Tuesdays.

Sure I will give the manufacturer and dist the benefit of the doubt, but meanwhile the riding is good outside and I'm stuck with my 3 year old "Cruel Boots"

Not a coincidence that tribalbro had the "exact same thing" happen.

correct. odd it happened soon like that, in fact, the ONLY way it would happen that soon is if your walking in the boots without the buckles done and you caught it on something, and ripped it apart. The ONLY way mine after riding an average of almost 6 hours a week for 4 years (and got my 2nd set a few months back..still have original pair..) was when i wore the clip down so much on the frame that it wouldn't hold on that metal pin. The clip is covered on teh NEWEST model boots by the rubber thing. Remove that, and expose the clip to instal the new circlip.

correct. odd it happened soon like that, in fact, the ONLY way it would happen that soon is if your walking in the boots without the buckles done and you caught it on something, and ripped it apart. .

Well my boots are put on, buckled tight and ridden in. The only walking they do is pushing out of mudholes. And I sure wouldn't walk with them undone, I'd be like the classic tourist in there ski boots :smirk:

Speaking of buckling, thats my other issue with these boots. Not the best buckle system with the cam locks. Also the plastic strap below the 2 bottom buckles is too thin and folds up when you try to crank your boots. You really have to push down on it and flex the boot forward to get a positive buckle click. I was really looking forward to Sidi's, they were my first ever ski boot. But now I don't know how impressed I am.....

I still can't find my bag of tricks (c-clips) so I was back to my old Formas at the MX track tonight.

Scotty Scotty Scotty why so negitive bro? It may be possible that you just got a bad pair.

Sounds like you and I ride the same trails, but I've never had a problem with my Sidi's. With my weight and the way I distroy bikes, U would think my boots wouldn't last two years and still feel great! I'm on my second pair in the last four years and I won't buy anything else for Baja. And you know that half the gang on the R2TT are using Sidi's.

Cheer up buddy, it's going to be a sunny weekend in Baja.......sounds like you need a weekend run to Mike's.

RAKSanDiego

I am on my second pair. First pair lasted 5 years and 5 soles. I did, on occasion have to replace that circlip on the hinge. They put a few parts in the box when I bought them and it allowed me to repair them. I had the same issue. It took about 30 seconds to fix.

It was over three years of offroad abuse before I had to replace the circlip though. I'd be annoyed if my brand new ones didn't hold up.

They are good boots and will last for years. Stick with them...

are sidi soles really soft?

i've got 4 seasons on my tech 8's and the soles are still fine, the boots are falling apart but the soles are good