Drain bolt on the top of the shock body???

Has anyone ever seen a drain bolt installed into the top of the shock body? My shock has one. Here is the deal. The only thing I can think it would be used for is bleeding all of the air out. The problem is, I did a re-valve job, and after having the shock re-charged, it is leaking oil out of the bolt. It has a crush washer, so i'm guessing I need to replace it. Problem is, there is 170 psi in the bladder. Do I have release the nitrogen in the shock before replacing the crush washer that's used with the bolt? I am guessing I will. UGH

The bolt/screw can be used for filling and/or bleeding. Yes, you will have to let out the charge. IMO, i would seal it up completely.

That's what I figured.

they can be useful as then you can attach a bleed bottle, this is great to see the air coming to the top, just keep pumping till its clear, wish all shocks had one , but it needs to be a O ring seal like the old kx kybs.

All of the shops around here want $40 to re-fill the shock with nitrogen. What's up with that?!

$40 is ridiculous. Do you have a tire shop around? Many use N2 as well (at least over here),

so that may be an option.

I just located a local guy who will do it for $10! Yea!!!!!!

All of the shops around here want $40 to re-fill the shock with nitrogen. What's up with that?!

Inflation (pardon the pun) :smirk:

As mog quite rightly stated, if it was intended to be there, then fine.

Truck/buggy/4x4 shops can do this as well. Most of them won't charge as much as a bike shop often tries to.