Can you identity this!

ask him for the engine number

most likely to be found above the kick starter

I'd say an 88 but the pictures really suck

so it's just a guess

Umm, I'm guessing between '82 and '85. I seem to think that by '86 and beyond they had a power valve, that motor doesn't look like it has one. Also, unless he took it off I didn't see a Boyesen RAD Valve either.

And why is there a fuel pump on it?, did the guy have it on a Kart?

Just like welink said, post the serial number and then we can figure it out.

Not from those pics i cant but def get the numbers off the engine to run.

Yeah i do believe 86 was the first year for the power valve, or at least one of the first years. I have an 86 and 87 RM250 engine. The 86 has a horizontal cylindrical power vlave with a square port cut through it that rotates to change port timeing, and the 87 250 has the more up to date power valves that we are all used to seeing. Heres a pic of my 87 250 to try and compare to. Sorry it's not comeplete. Damn things hard to find parts for. I do have the carb and it looks the same as the one in the pics you put up.

100_1893.jpg

100_1891.jpg

And heres an 86 250 right side pic with the 87 right side in the backround. Notice the power valve cover is really small, and square and looks nowhere near the same as the 87 250

100_1892.jpg

Thanks for your help everyone. I asked him for the serial number so once we get that maybe we can figure it out. And as to the question about being on a cart, yes it was but the guy ripped this engine off to put and 03 CR250 on the cart.

He said he can't see the number because he would have to scratch the paint off

I'll tell you right now, for $84 somethings gotta be wrong with it. And for being a pre 86 engine, it's gonna turn into a nightmare. And if something is wrong with it, it's prob gonna cost you an arm and a leg to fix it. Just my 2 cents.

Oh and looking at the pics from where i found the price. That is no 250. It's too damn small. The carb is almost as big as the cylinder. Just walk away.

Well, no matter what he does he's going to have to figure out what year it is. The paint can be stripped not scratched off, so he won't damage anything. And even though it's a terrible picture (eBay quality!!) you can still tell that it was rattle can painted, so it's not like he's ruining a factory paint job.

Tell him that there's no deal with out the engine number.

I'll tell you right now, for $84 somethings gotta be wrong with it. And for being a pre 86 engine, it's gonna turn into a nightmare. And if something is wrong with it, it's prob gonna cost you an arm and a leg to fix it. Just my 2 cents.

How do you know its not a 250? Plus if its not a 250 after I get it I can open a case with ebay saying the item hasn't been described right.

Just told him I need the engine number to match everything up. Lets see what this guy comes up with.

that cylinder looks way too damn small to be a 250. The carb is damn near just as big as the cylinder. I'd almost bet it's not even a 125, but i could be wrong.

Gee, if your looking for an engine from that era I've got a complete '83 RM250 engine, no carb but I do have the ignition and a new kicker. It needs to be gone through and I've never heard it run, but the bore looks good and the compression seems fine.

PM me if you are interested.

Gee, if your looking for an engine from that era I've got a complete '83 RM250 engine, no carb but I do have the ignition and a new kicker. It needs to be gone through and I've never heard it run, but the bore looks good and the compression seems fine.

PM me if you are interested.

Sent you a PM. Just read online about the 83's and they seem to be pretty nice.