Considering a move to San Jose area

California

Hey all... I'm born/raised in Oregon, and have my 2000 KX250.

Am considering a job opportunity in the San Jose area and am wondering about local laws, and local places to ride.

I love trail riding and MX track as well. Prefer free riding in the woods.

Also, are 2Smokers outlawed in the peoples republic of CA yet? Do I need to register/get a tag, etc?

Thanks!

DAN

Grandfathered green sticker bike = good.

Free riding, what's that?

Still lots of woods within 3 hour drive.

Locally your good too. Small metcalf place along with Carnegie, Hollister Hills too.

Grandfathered green sticker bike = good.

What's a green sticker bike?

When you register your bike (yes with the DMV if you plan on riding at the local ohv, national forest or hmm land) you get a green or red sticker. Green sticker means you can ride year round as long as it's not closed because of weather. Red stickers can be outlawed at certain riding areas during part of the year. Mainly summer time. Hollister and carnage both have red sticker restrictions and I think metcalf does also. But if u have a green sticker it's not ur problem. What area of SJ are u looking at? I was born and raised there.

When you register your bike (yes with the DMV if you plan on riding at the local ohv, national forest or hmm land) you get a green or red sticker. Green sticker means you can ride year round as long as it's not closed because of weather. Red stickers can be outlawed at certain riding areas during part of the year. Mainly summer time. Hollister and carnage both have red sticker restrictions and I think metcalf does also. But if u have a green sticker it's not ur problem.

So, if I'm coming from another state, and have not registered my bike with the CA DMV, then I can't get my 2Stroke registered?

What area of SJ are u looking at? I was born and raised there.

I don't know yet. I'll be working in Mountain View, so not sure where I'll live yet. It'll be based on compensation negotiations. :-) Cost of living in urban CA is significantly higher than rural OR.

You can get your 2 stroke registered in ca and it should have a green sticker. I don't know how it works in Oregon if you have a title for the bike already. I think you need a pink slip to register. Check the ca DMV for bringing out of state vehicles in.

Oregon does not require a title, nor DMV registration. :smirk:

However, not having that stuff is gonna make it difficult to register in CA. :smirk:

You can apply for lost / no title. Will take a little time, but its doable. Red sticker vs green sticker is the bikes with green sticker can ride year round at certain OHV state parks and ride areas. red sticker bikes are restricted to certain months at those places. 02 and older are green I believe. 4 stroke trail bikes and quads have the gear on them to make them green sticker also. If you like to motocross, hook up with the Bay chapter of the Over The Hill Gang for 30+ year old MX racing.

Be sure you go house hunting before you accept a job offer. You dont need to worry about CA laws because after you see what a house that you can afford looks like you wont move here. Seriously, I'm being totally serious.

Be sure you go house hunting before you accept a job offer. You dont need to worry about CA laws because after you see what a house that you can afford looks like you wont move here. Seriously, I'm being totally serious.

:smirk::lol::lol:No kidding........buddy of mine has a million dollar house in SJ and it's just a little bit bigger than mine at half the price and I live in a much nicer area than they do here in So Cal

Exactly. In Oregon you can buy a beautiful ranch for 1 million.

In my NorCal neighborhood 1 million gets you a nice old house

on a small lot. Seriously, dont accept a job offer until you go

house hunting.

Yup only in this area can you be a person pulling in not that far off from 6 fig salary and still feel poor and strapped for cash. FML.

Yeah, I've kinda figured that out, looking at rental sites, etc.

Thanks for the heads-up everybody.

San Jose has the 2nd largest population of Mexican Americans in California. The 1st is San Ysidro on the Mexican border.

The income generated from high tech jobs in San Jose surpasses that of San Franciso.

:smirk: Hmmmm.

Edited by superslyko
Math & Statistics are my life!

go beavers!!

Anyone else gonna tell this guy he is in for a rude awakening??

I moved to the Slave....err I mean Bay area fresh out of college.....Mistake.

Anyone else gonna tell this guy he is in for a rude awakening??

I moved to the Slave....err I mean Bay area fresh out of college.....Mistake.

Shhhh! I see a job opening in Oregon.

These days Californians are trying to escape to Oregon.

This place is fantastic. Nature leveled it out by giving us the most stupid governments on the planet. The City of San Jose is nearly broke. Expect tax measures for minor things like police, fire, schools. This allows them to continue funding all of the pet projects. At least San Jose is showing some balls and telling the unions it's either pay cuts or job cuts; you choose. The union workers are tearfully keeping their high pay and pension, while saying good bye to former co-workers. The message that you can't bleed the tax payers until they go broke isn't sinking in yet.

When I finished high school up in Portland I packed my bags and never looked back. I moved to SJ when things were good (early 90's) and have since settled down with a family. Though I really love the area, this state is in for some serious and extended hard times. I've contemplated many times on moving out of area or even state but the weather is 70F in January, coast is 40 mins away, and this is a rider's (both street & dirt) mecca. I can gear up in my garage and hit the dirt 10 mins away or strap on the street gear and carve one of many mountain ranges in the area. Yes, you pay for all that here and for me it's much better than 10 months of depressing NW rain. If you can get this company to pay you that 6 fig you'll do just fine here.

You can make a shit load of cash here just don't bring a family. The family part costs a ton. If its just you or you and your also employed girl than its very doable. Swoop in, get a job with a well known company, build up your resume and your bank accounts and then move away when you're ready to settle down to buy a house and have some kids.

You can make a shit load of cash here just don't bring a family. The family part costs a ton. If its just you or you and your also employed girl than its very doable. Swoop in, get a job with a well known company, build up your resume and your bank accounts and then move away when you're ready to settle down to buy a house and have some kids.

What do you mean that family costs a ton in CA? What about CA is more expensive than elsewhere?