Sign in to follow this  

05 yz250 water pump seal

Water pump seal is gone. Water pump shaft is more than suspect, based on circumstantial evidence:busted:

What am I in for repair wise, cost of parts and what to disassemble?

If you do the whole shebang (water pump seal, shaft, oil seal), the parts will run in the $70 range. It is a pretty easy job but if you replace the shaft the right side cover needs to come off so you'll need a gasket for that as well. Also replace the water pump gasket, since you'll have it off anyway.

Pretty easy job, I can't imagine a shop charging more than an hour labor fo it, maybe two.

I just ran into this too. Read a post where RCannon said that changing the coolant can cause the seal to fail because all the bits of gunk that were in the coolant keep the seal plugged. Once you put fresh stuff in then it leaks. Made sense to me.

I just did mine. Changed the seal, the gasket, and the drain plug washer. I left the shaft as is - it looked good.

$10 in parts, and 20 minutes worth of work (most of which was spent on a slow drain of coolant).

Not sure how it can be done for $10.00. You need case gasket, inner and outer seal, pump gasket, bearing if your going to replace it while its open. Yamaha parts house has good prices. It's about a hour to do.

Not sure how it can be done for $10.00. You need case gasket, inner and outer seal, pump gasket, bearing if your going to replace it while its open. Yamaha parts house has good prices. It's about a hour to do.

If your shaft doesn't need replacement, you only need the water pump seal, water pump gasket, and a drain plug copper washer if you want to do that.