Sign in to follow this  

10 year old big bore thumpers...

So I haven't ridden in probably 8 years or so, getting ready to get my first bike in a long time. I've ridden enough to appreciate hp and torque, so I'm looking at the 400cc class.

Since I haven't ridden in so long I don't want to spend a lot of money on my first bike back, should make sure I'm gonna get some use out of it. Not entirely sure what type of riding I"ll be doing, since I haven't ridden in so long, my guess would be 60-70% desert and the rest trails. Don't expect to do much if any MX.

So for about $1200-$1500 I could buy a DRZ400, WR400, or YZ426. I like the idea of newer suspension and frame technology, and of course the lighter the better. Seems like ideally I'd find a nicely cared for WR426, but can't seem to find one. I did find a nicely cared for WR400, and DRZ400 that are at the top of my list. Question is, will I be kicking myself in a year for not having the newer technology on the 426... or 450?

About a year ago, I bought my 2001 WR 426 for $1800, BUT, it is super clean. The guy rode it a few times a year on family property in Colorado and it shows. It has been an excellent bike, and eventhough I just picked up a 2007 KTM 300 XC, I am keeping the WR. If the WR400 is clean, it will make you a much better trail bike than the YZ426...especially after the long lay off. The gearing on the YZ isnt set up for trail riding, which can cause it to overheat chugging around, it doesnt have a overflow either. The YZ doesnt have a kickstand or light. There are alot of free mods you can do to the WRs that really make alot of difference in power...open the air box and exhaust, rejet, cut the grey wire (emission BS). The early Yamaha 4 strokes are one of the most bulletproof high performance 4 strokes made, IMO...maybe second to the KTM "RFS" design. You arent going to buy a 450 for $1200-$1500. The key point is to know what to look for when buying used.

Why do you only want 4 stroke? Why not consider a 2 stroke trail bike like an EXC 250 or 300?

I would say you could get a 450 for just a little more and probably be more satisfied not because it's a larger cc But because the evolution of the bike or maybe a 2 stroke for ease Of maintenance and cheaper Parts definatly would be able to get a nicer 2 stroke for the same or better price then a 400 or 426 either Way you gotta be stoked to get back on a bike

Edited by Dirt-rich
I can't spell

Why do you only want 4 stroke? Why not consider a 2 stroke trail bike like an EXC 250 or 300?
I would say you could get a 450 for just a little more and probably be more satisfied not because it's a larger cc But because the evolution of the bike or maybe a 2 stroke for ease Of maintenance and cheaper Parts definatly would be able to get a nicer 2 stroke for the same or better price then a 400 or 426 either Way you gotta be stoked to get back on a bike

I am pretty excited to ride again. I need some healthy adrenaline in my life!

Well, I think answering your guy's questions seems to be helping me answer some of my own...

From what I've seen listed I could get a 250 2smoke MX bike from late 90's early 2000's (yz or cr) for around the same price as what I'm looking at... but I don't really want a a little tinger that requires more gear work to hook up say on a big sandy hill. Which tells me I should probably stop being temped by the yz426's I'm seeing listed and find a trail bike. I'm also in Cali, so I think almost any 2smoke would be a red sticker bike.

So for not having been on a bike in so many years is it easily worth the extra $$ to step up to newer technology? Or am I even gonna be able to tell the difference?

I think that know matter what you decide you won't be able to tell much difference at first because your going to have to much fun but after you get back into the groove it you will totally recognize the differences if you jump on a slightly newer bike Considering the 400 and 426 were the first real 4 stroke mx bikes So much has changed. On a budget your best bet may be to find a early model crf450 usually around that range that hasn't been beat I see them under $2k They are very good all around bikes

I disagree on the CRF suggestion. The early CRF450s are high maintenance machines. They are notorious for premature valve wear/failure. The early generation Yamahas are much lower maintenance and better built engines...Ive owned a YZ400F and currently own a WR426. Personally, I wouldnt buy a $2000 CRF, that is trouble.

Thats just my 2 cents.