Sign in to follow this  

Body armor that protects ribs?

Does anybody make upper body armor that protects the ribs from a side impact? I'm pretty sure I broke mine with my own elbow armor.

I had a bad crash and broke some ribs, punctured a lung, and spent a week in the hospital. I have a Troy Lee Designs pressure suit and it fits great, is comfortable, and has good protection where it is padded up. But it has nothing around the sides for those stupid ribs. During my stay in the hospital all my friends stopped by and we talked about our different brands of armor, and nobody had anything that has padding or armor around the sides of the chest.

I know there are issues of heat and mobility to consider when adding more and more protection, but laying in the desert with a punctured lung and hoping they can get the truck back in here to pick me up sure got me thinking. This isn't the first time I've hurt my ribs but it was serious enough that I want to add something.

Does anybody know of anything?

I ordered a Tekvest and after I examined it I returned it. It might work ok in the snow but in the dirt and mud the vest would never wash out. The material and netting would collect mud and never completely clean out. Horribly overpriced too.

Equestrian vests, some are being currently rebranded for mx use. They look hot though, and may not fit with neck braces.

Hrp flak jak plus rib guard, but it's thin and mainly just a roost protector.

New tld under protectors.

Skeletools vest

661 core saver maybe?

Check out the Troy Lee CP 5955 Protector. Custom made for both A-Star Neck brace and Leatt

• Like 1

Good suggestion NSF3537, I just found some Troy Lee's and it they all great. The one I'm looking at is the BP 7855 fits everything I need and could possibly work for motoinmoab. Anyone have any reviews for the the Troy Lee BP 7855 (it's the full suit under jersey armor)???

Check out the Troy Lee CP 5955 Protector. Custom made for both A-Star Neck brace and Leatt

Thanks for the tip, that's the best looking all around protection I've seen. The web site says they're not available, I guess I'll keep checking back for it. :smirk:

I think a place near me has it in stock. Trick Racing in Stafford Twp. NJ. They had it in stock a month ago. I tried it on and loved it, just didn't have an extra $200 laying around.

Hey motomoab - who apparently is from michigan - you figure it out - 1500 miles apart,

anyway I'm an old guy like you, and broke my ribs- not cracked - but broke - like in 2 halfs, on 2 seperate occasions, almost surely my elbow did me in both times. I couldn't ride for 3 months each time. after looking around I went with these guys

http://www.rxrprotectnorthamerica.com/janddwalter/rxr/index.php/rxr

since then no rib issues with a number of similar crashes - (I tend to do that alot)

The RXR has air bladders you pump up to protect you. they are light, hardly noticable to you, (everyone else thinks you are the michilin man) and not hot either. they do the job in my opinion.

are they perfect: no, the intricate air bladder shapes tend to get leaks at the places it creases. i have always fixed those leaks with a bottle of air matress/vinyl repair - just slather on the glue, i have had to do that 3 times in 3 years - never the same place twice. The material on the outside could be a bit more wear resistant, velco tears it up, and it balls up and gets small rips.

so it is a bit pricey, and I'm thinking 4 - 5 years max on durability, but on the other hand - it does a great job of protection, without the heat and weight issues.

I called TLD and they are expecting the 5955 Chest Protectors in by the end of the month. I'll be ordering one.

I just looked in at MotoSport.com, it looks like they have them in stock. Free shipping over $99. If you get it, let me know how you like it. I really want one. It fit like a glove when I tried it on and looked cool also. I've had quite a few different brand chest protectors and this one looked and felt the best.

http://www.2ndmoto.biz/ I have worked with this guy in the past. Great to deal with, excellent customer service. LOTS of folks in the northwest racing with this product.

I ware an old bullet resistant vest from one of my local police buddy's. Same situation, after I broke ribs on a couple different occasions I knew I needed to do something different. You can buy new but they are pricey. There are bull riding vests that will work just as well. You are correct in thinking you need something that wraps all the way around your torso and the vest is the way to go.

What about the motoXvest? Basically a bull riding vest with complete coverage. Ive seen quite a few people wearing them around here.

http://motoxvest.com/

• Like 1

I called to get pricing but got the answering machine and didnt leave a message. How much for an adult, standard?

I called to get pricing but got the answering machine and didnt leave a message. How much for an adult, standard?

If you are talking about the motoXvest there website says 300 bucks any size, 25 bucks extra for color customizing

What about the motoXvest? Basically a bull riding vest with complete coverage. Ive seen quite a few people wearing them around here. http://motoxvest.com/

I called motoXvest and left a message and sent them an e-mail. I'll post more info about the vest as soon as I hear from them, their site is short on solid details. Originally made for pro bull riders and adapted for motocross riding, sounds like the right idea. Thanks for the tip.

• Like 1