2000 xr650r engine rebuild

hello all, i am in the middle of rebuilding my engine. the guys at xrs only are awsome. i am going with the prox rod kit, 101mm ross piston , new cam chain and all the seals and gaskets. here is one catch i just came across today. the oiler port for the cylinder has metal missing and just doesn't seem right. here are some pics,,,has anyone else seen this happen and should i replace the case or will it be o.k. thanks

file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/photo%204.JPG

file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/photo%202.JPG

file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/photo%201.JPG

Edited by arranb
pictures

sorry guys trying to add pics but cant figure out how. the links work if you copy and paste. please help me figure out the picture thing.

sorry guys trying to add pics but cant figure out how. the links work if you copy and paste. please help me figure out the picture thing.

Hey mate upload your photos to photobucket and then post the link here :smirk:

can't i post from picassa? i hate having to have multiple places for pics.

photo4.jpg

photo3.jpg

photo2.jpg

photo1.jpg

Edited by arranb
photo2.jpg

seriously no one has seen this happen to their pig? i ordered a used case and it had the same problem! maybe, just maybe this could lead to a low oil pressure problem! just a thought........i am now buying a new right case.

is that a flaw in the casting? if its a flaw and it wasn't the cause of the rebuild then you should be ok. i don't think it could cause a low oil pressure situation because there is no blockage and the hole doesn't go through to the other side from where it is.

Edited by craftsman13
is that a flaw in the casting? if its a flaw and it wasn't the cause of the rebuild then you should be ok. i don't think it could cause a low oil pressure situation because there is no blockage and the hole doesn't go through to the other side from where it is.

I just looked at mine and took a pic. I'd say you'd be ok if the oring seal area is ok.But, it looks like that area is pitted on yours.

DSCN6945.jpg

put some sealer on the seal just before you install it and that should take care of any leaks.

yea thats weird looks like corrosion or something of the like. I would fill it with jb weld and use a dremel to grind away the excess.

This is a through hole that has an oil valve to lubricate the cylinder. It goes to the piston to oil the cylinder. Some how i think oil was eaither very hot and melted it or debris messed it up. But it would cause loss of oil to the cylinder if it was being restricted. Look at the pics again.