Sign in to follow this  

advise and opinions on which bike to buy

so heres the deal im looking for a new bike.. the three bikes i cant choose from are a 150 xc 200 xcw or a 250 xcfw (i know this a 2 stroke thread but try not to be biased.. im gonna stay off the track mostly woods ..hare scramble maybe some enduro.. i weight 175 and 5'9 ..i want to have a bike that i can ride and it not beat the shit out of me im looking for something that i can always enjoy riding and it last a while..routine matience is not an issue... ive had rm 80 kx 100 and yz 125 and now a kfx 450r quad (thats not saying much but it was a good deal i couldnt pass it up) im not looking for a bike that will man handle me and me not enjoy racing /riding it.. im leaning more towards the 200 ecw cause its more of a woods bike then the 150 and not as high matience and expensive as a 4 stoke.. advise and opinions greatly appreaciated .. and also im going to buy the 2012 models so if theres is anything new or anything i should stay away from that would also be a help

thanks rich

200 xc or xcw is what I'd get..... Without knowing your age.... The 150 is going to be under powered in a big bike class and the 200 is a little lighter than the 250....but not much

yeah sorry about that im 23 .. and most likely ill be riding c or b light.. like i said in the post i just dont want it to be to much bike for me .. but im sure i can get use to it

With the choices you have presented i would get the 200.

yep, last ya for years, uber tunable so you can change it up from ride to ride or season to season.

if you are on a budget, it will be your best friend vs the liquid cooled 4 stroke.

I got bored with the quarter liter 4 strokes. Fun to ride a bit, but just not enough there to keep me interested. I also didn't like changing the oil every other ride, and changing the 2! filters that go with it.

My 200 has been the most fun, best bike I have owned and I have committed to continuing to own them. It has also been great because I am on a limited budget and couldn't imagine affording a rebuild on the SXF I had.

Hard to not be biased when the 200 is such a sweet setup. Hits a perfect niche of handling and power.

thanks alot gmoss.. seems like everyone is pointing me in the same direction .. i appreaiate the help

With the choices you have presented i would get the 200.

from http://www.ktm.com/enduro/200-exc-eu/highlights.html

"The ideal combination of the playful handling of a 125 and the engine power of a 250cc enduro. A special bike that is not built for a specific Enduro World Championship class, but for all those who want to break fee from the competitive class-based society and who are looking for nothing more than fun, rideability, perfect ergonomics and reasonable costs. With even more performance than before and a completely revamped chassis, the 200 EXC satisfies these requirements even better than ever."

200_EXC_90_Grad_01.jpg

from http://www.ktm.com/enduro/200-exc-eu/highlights.html

"The ideal combination of the playful handling of a 125 and the engine power of a 250cc enduro. A special bike that is not built for a specific Enduro World Championship class, but for all those who want to break fee from the competitive class-based society and who are looking for nothing more than fun, rideability, perfect ergonomics and reasonable costs. With even more performance than before and a completely revamped chassis, the 200 EXC satisfies these requirements even better than ever."

200_EXC_90_Grad_01.jpg

i dont get it.. sometimes i look at the ktm website and i see ktm 200 exc and sometimes i see the ecw.. whast the difference im a bit confused

I concur with the 200 recommendations. I love my '08 200 XC-W - "mountain bike with a motor". It's so light and nimble and fun, it's hard to deny what a fantastic platform it is. It is easy to handle, easy to work on, very tunable, good low end, and plenty of get up and go when you want it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those other bikes, I'm sure they are sweet, too. But given my experience with the 200, I would choose it again.

I concur with the 200 recommendations. I love my '08 200 XC-W - "mountain bike with a motor". It's so light and nimble and fun, it's hard to deny what a fantastic platform it is. It is easy to handle, easy to work on, very tunable, good low end, and plenty of get up and go when you want it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with those other bikes, I'm sure they are sweet, too. But given my experience with the 200, I would choose it again.

how ecperienced of a rider are you?? will it be easy to adjust to the bike even if it is to big for you ..im a solid c rider.... i just dont want to soend the 7-8 k on a bike that wont be fun to ride cause its to much for me..

i dont get it.. sometimes i look at the ktm website and i see ktm 200 exc and sometimes i see the ecw.. whast the difference im a bit confused

You are seeing different regions bikes. upper right corner you will see where you can choose international, or N America, Europe, etc. In the US, they are XC and XCW. The EXC is the Euro version of the XCW.

how ecperienced of a rider are you?? will it be easy to adjust to the bike even if it is to big for you ..im a solid c rider.... i just dont want to soend the 7-8 k on a bike that wont be fun to ride cause its to much for me..

Depending on what you are used to, the 250f may be more familiar, easier to ride. I found the herky jerkiness of the engine braking and choppy on/off throttle harder to ride smooth than the 2 stroke. the 200 will have more bottom than the 150, making it easier to ride off the pipe.

the 200 has the right amount of power for woods power, not intimidating at all. With proper jetting and PV setup, it can delivery very predictable power, or it can be set up to hit like a beefy 125.

You are seeing different regions bikes. upper right corner you will see where you can choose international, or N America, Europe, etc. In the US, they are XC and XCW. The EXC is the Euro version of the XCW.

Depending on what you are used to, the 250f may be more familiar, easier to ride. I found the herky jerkiness of the engine braking and choppy on/off throttle harder to ride smooth than the 2 stroke. the 200 will have more bottom than the 150, making it easier to ride off the pipe.

the 200 has the right amount of power for woods power, not intimidating at all. With proper jetting and PV setup, it can delivery very predictable power, or it can be set up to hit like a beefy 125.

yeah im deff leaning more towards the 200.. someone just threw in the husky wr 125..any info aabout that bike compared to the 200..and whast the difference between the 200 exc and xc-w..is the exc only available in eruope

My brother in law started riding on an 05 200 exc. He had pretty much zero dirt bike riding experience. It has been a great bike for him and one that he will have fun on for a long time. The 200 is a hard bike to beat by anyone's standards.

yeah im deff leaning more towards the 200.. someone just threw in the husky wr 125..any info aabout that bike compared to the 200..and whast the difference between the 200 exc and xc-w..is the exc only available in eruope

I think 06 or 07 the US started using the xc-w name. I don't think you will find a new exc here in the states. The 125 will be a little more work to ride. Not as much low end power as the 200. Will have to ride on the pipe more with the 125. It will most likely have more of a on - off throttle feel, they usually have a definite power band hit. I don't have any real world knowledge about the Husky wr's so I might be wrong.

yea so im pretty sure i made up my mind and going to go with the 200 xc-w just got to wait till july for the 2012s to get released ..any bbig improvements for the 2012 models?

yea so im pretty sure i made up my mind and going to go with the 200 xc-w just got to wait till july for the 2012s to get released ..any bbig improvements for the 2012 models?

the 200 should get the newest chassis for 2012, so yeah, lots of chassis improvements.

I wouldn't say just Europe. You can get it in Australia too as far as I know.

EXC = XCW with light kit

XCW = no lights, but plugs are there and ready for light kit.

In USA they stopped doing a version std with lights. I guess they figured most riders didn't want/need them, so why add unnecessary material costs to the item?

200 XC-W or a 250 XC-W (even thought it's not on your list.) My buddy is the same size as you and he loves his 250.

Well I should say something. The 125, 144/150 are great bikes. I would let your skill level decide what size engine you would like. I am 43 years old, 180 pounds, and 6 foot tall. I race a 144. The 144 does everything I need it to do. I will be adding a 2009 200 XC in a couple of months and have every thing I need to convert a bike to a 200cc when the time is right. Take your time and master the smaller cc bikes, move up when you are ready, and you will be a better rider.

I have a 144 because I wanted my bike to be a spare for my son in case he breaks his bike, he is on a 125. I've had 5 380s in the past so you know where I am coming from. I have been very happy on the 144 for the past year.

The 200 would be a great choice if you want to jump into a bike you can ride for a long time, you will love it. Forget the 4 stroke, lame, makes you a lazy rider, and will cost you more in the long run.

Joe.........