kips shaft seal

I read the sticky about pressure testing the engine, and I made a pressure tester. I put pressure in the engine today and it leaks off real fast. I can hear it leaking, so I removed the cover over the KIPS shaft. The cover and shaft are covered with thick black greasy stuff, and the shaft is leaking. In the pressure test sticky it says something about a link to a thread for sealing the shaft. I've done several searches and I can't find anything. How do I seal this shaft? It's a '98 KDX220. I've only had it about 3 weeks and I don't know much about it.

What pressure did you pump it up to?

On the older models, there was an oil seal on the shaft. Maybe yours has one, too.

I went to 15 PSI. I think that was too much, but it leaked all the way down to 1 PSI pretty quick. I figured with all of the gunk that was all over the shaft that it was leaking pretty bad fo a while.

If I could ever get the kips shafts to NOT leak on the KX's...I'd be one happy camper. I even polished the shft with 1600 grit paper with a new seal....Still leaks:banghead:

Just get a new a seal, either way.

I puled the top end apart today. I'll get a gasket set and a set of selas and see what I can do. Thanks for the help.

If I could ever get the kips shafts to NOT leak on the KX's...I'd be one happy camper. I even polished the shft with 1600 grit paper with a new seal....Still leaks:banghead:

that has been my experience as well. i wish they had a drain hose from that chamber, im going to machine one into my cylinder next top end.