Turntech 5ah Install

Hey Guys

Installing a Turntech 5ah battery here.... the +/- terminals are reversed per the old OEM. Turntech positive is on the right, OEM on the left..... what did you do to get the positive lead to reach across?

Thx

It's been awhile but I slid the battery forward in the box and played with the routing for the positive lead until I got it to reach. It just barely reached at that.

Hmmm....tried that and my + is still about 2.5" short?

I think I went over or under the sub-frame rail or something like that. I don't know which way your battery is turned but my positive terminal is on the right side looking at it straight on. It's been too long so the memory is fuzzy.....

made and extension of the same or thicker guage wire and goodly sized contacts.

works A1.

Ok.... I replaced the lead that jumps across the air box using some 10g wire and ring connectors..... it all fits now....hope it works.

Ok.... I replaced the lead that jumps across the air box using some 10g wire and ring connectors..... it all fits now....hope it works.

Can you let us know if it spins your DRZ like a maniac???? I'm sitting here with my finger poised over the 'buy' button for the same battery but if it doesn't spin it so fast I don't need gas, then I'll go another direction:)

Thanks!!

Yes... it cranks it over quick.

Need an educated opinion here.... so I replaced the positive lead that crosses from the battery to ther starter sol/relay with a 10g wire (Basically duplicated the stock lead but added 3.5"). Will the 10g be adequate in handling the start up amperage or should I have used a heavier guage?

Thx

Need an educated opinion here.... so I replaced the positive lead that crosses from the battery to ther starter sol/relay with a 10g wire (Basically duplicated the stock lead but added 3.5"). Will the 10g be adequate in handling the start up amperage or should I have used a heavier guage?

Thx

If it is as thick as stock you will be fine, though without taking the time to look at my bike 10G sounds thin. Realistically the start pulse should be short enough that wire heating should not be an issue even if it is a bit undersized, and resistance should not be significant. Still best to match the stock size.

bigger is better no mater what she said.

If it is as thick as stock you will be fine, though without taking the time to look at my bike 10G sounds thin. Realistically the start pulse should be short enough that wire heating should not be an issue even if it is a bit undersized, and resistance should not be significant. Still best to match the stock size.

Thx for the advise.... I bought the heaviest gauge I could find and it looks really close to the stock cable (No indication on the stock cable as to its gauge) I can easily order a few ft of a 8 or 6 g wire and crimp up a new cable!

:smirk:

.... on a side note... I've been running this battery for a couple of days now... it's smaller...way lighter....and easily spins the motor over with no lag or hesitation!.... the real test will be with a cold morning start, which I'm confident it will deliver.

I use the 5aH battery to start a ZX1100 engine in a dragbike, no charging system. It starts the 4 cyl. motor easily. I do charge it about every three passes. It has worked great and the weight it saves shows up on the time slip.

Thx for the advise.... I bought the heaviest gauge I could find and it looks really close to the stock cable (No indication on the stock cable as to its gauge) I can easily order a few ft of a 8 or 6 g wire and crimp up a new cable!

:smirk:

You can connect 2- 10G wires in parallel also.

You can connect 2- 10G wires in parallel also.

Thx for the tip... I ended up picking up a few feet of 6 gauge and made up a new cable. For reference with a direct comparision, the stock cable appears to be 8 gauge.

So far I'm impressed... true test will be how the battery performs in a cold morning at altitude.

LFP batteries can seem a bit dead on a cold morning until it cranks a bit. They warm themselves while under load and then crank great. Just a tiny bit disconcerting when you first hit the button.