Sign in to follow this  

Devious plan: is the 350 xc-f motor "hit" compared to a 250F?

My SO still calls my 250F the "death trap" due to the 30 minutes she spent on it with my suspension settings. Hot day, hard pack, sag not even close, couldn't start the darn thing. It hit pretty hard in the midrange and the slick conditions and rear wheel spinning, well, I'm sure some of you know how it is when a perfectly set-up bike is loaned to a rider not even close in weight and ability: they hate it.

No wonder she thinks the torquey and comfortable CRF230F is heaven-sent even though it weighs 800 pounds and has no suspension. But she loves the electric start and low seat height (even though her inseam is 36 inches) to gain confidence. I've mentioned a KDX 200/220 but she insists on electric start.

Now her ability is progressing to the point the 230F is holding her back. The seat-to-peg distance is cramped, the torquey motor doesn't rev out enough...we'll keep it for a beginner loaner bike but the search is on for her new bike. During today's ride I mentioned the KTM 350. Yes, it has electric start, dear, and now she is interested! I can kill two birds with one orange stone.

Full disclosure: I ride a YZ250 two stroke but want a KTM 350 as a second/fun bike. And my evil mind is thinking I can get an e-start 4 stroke for her to ride the few times a month and I can ride it the other 27 days! I am interested in the KTM 350 because it's a 4 stroke with e-start, for its lack of engine braking, linkage suspension, 18" rear wheel and larger tank.

I know it's impossible to say a bike will work for anyone else, but for those with ample time on the 350 XC-F do you find the motor is somewhat torquey with proper gearing or is it too close to the 350 SX-F's MX heritage for beginner-intermediate trails? Does it need a bit of revving and then have a potent mid-range hit? I'm wondering if it's too high-strung like my 250F. I don't expect it to be anywhere near the silky smooth torque of a 230F but seeing as how I don't have access to a 350 for her to test I'm asking for input.

Or should I quit being a sneaky cheap bastard and just get a 350 for myself and whatever she wants.

Edited by YamaLink

My SO still calls my 250F the "death trap" due to the 30 minutes she spent on it with my suspension settings.

SO=Siamese Ostrich? :smirk:

The motor is not only close to the 350sxf, it is the same. High strung, weak down low like a 250f. Then, mid corner it comes on and rockets off. No matter how you gear it, there is no way to mask the non linear powerband.

If you get the 350(any model), I'd suggest getting it for yourself, and a 250F for the missus. The 350 is pretty doughy (but torquey) off the bottom, bit flat through the mid and hits like a 2 stroke in the top end. Very unusual powerband.

Really a bike you need to ride to fully understand.

I always thought my 250 xcf-w motor had a nice linear power band. Sure it makes most of its power in the mid-high range, but it transitions nicely to it. Especially after rejetting it correctly. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I always thought my 250 xcf-w motor had a nice linear power band. Sure it makes most of its power in the mid-high range, but it transitions nicely to it. Especially after rejetting it correctly. Am I the only one who thinks this?

I agree, a re jet and an FMF slip on you're good to go if you're a light rider like I am.

I see TJ mentions the 350 XCF-W, is that on the drawing board at this time???

And exactly how much does the 350 XC-F weigh??

Thanks

LG

I agree, a re jet and an FMF slip on you're good to go if you're a light rider like I am.

I see TJ mentions the 350 XCF-W, is that on the drawing board at this time???

And exactly how much does the 350 XC-F weigh??

Thanks

LG

Europe already has the 350EXC which would be an XCFW in the states.

Will the cams be the main factor for more down-low and mid power in the XCFW?

Wait for the 350XCFW

I can't think of a better bike to "share" than a Husaberg 390. Has everything she needs and then some for you.

On a 4-stroke engine, cams are everything. All other variables are subordinated to the cam profile and timing.

Or should I quit being a sneaky cheap bastard and just get a 350 for myself and whatever she wants.

:smirk:

think.. "350xcf for me, wr250f for the lady."

I find that bike purchases go over better when I buy her one and me one at the same time!

I'm going to go with your signature: two bikes, each for an intended use. Just found out my favorite local dealer/family friend is picking up KTM which will make the 350 XCF purchase a win-win.

Thanks to all for the advice.

:smirk:

think.. "350xcf for me, wr250f for the lady."

I find that bike purchases go over better when I buy her one and me one at the same time!