cracked rim

anybody try getting the bead welded on a rim?Mine has a 3/4" crack down the thick part of the bead and was thinking of trying to get it welded,thoughts?

Don't waste your time and put your saftey at risk, buy a new rim.

i just bought a wheel with a crack in the rim. Its about 3/4" going from the edge toward the center of the rim. Im just going to weld it when the tire goes bad , obviously keep an eye on it.

i just bought a wheel with a crack in the rim. Its about 3/4" going from the edge toward the center of the rim. Im just going to weld it when the tire goes bad , obviously keep an eye on it.

exactly how mine is now,I.m going to get it welded for the short term and will be getting a new rim later.Only thing is I just purchased a new tire and not to fond of having to change it later,so I'm hoping the rim weld will last the tire at least.Now I have a new question should I buy the 1.85" or go with the 2.15" wheel?If I go with the 2.15" I'm guessing I will need a new rim lock(need 1 anyways)but will the 110-90-19 tire still fit ok on the wider rim?I'm thinking it will be easier to mount.

I'm going to get the weld done inside and out since I have the tire off anyways,this should make it a bit stronger.

The welder should V out the rim on both sides, then weld on the inside and outside. Blend the inside weld so it doesn't hurt your tube.

Rims are welded to begin with. The actual rim material is flat, then it's shaped into a circle and butt welded together. So it's not like "OM F G, you welded your rim???!!!" It's already been welded.

2.15 rims were used on 250's and that 110/90 tire is what comes on them stock.

Just keep an eye on the rim and make sure the no cracks appear on either side of the weld. Sometimes in a stressed area after you weld a crack new cracks will form because of the "notch effect" associated with welding. Try to blend it smooth as possible without sacrificing the integrity of the repair.

I thought the factory rim was 1.85,I will have to check it when I get it back.I took back the tire I had and bought a 120-80-19,I recently replaced the front tire with a wider 1 and it seems to float better in the sand so I thought it would be better with a wider rear also.

I don't know what bike you have, you should put the year/make/model in your signature.

2002 kx250,it does have the 1.85 rim.The crack was in the factory weld,its all welded up now hopefully it lasts a lil while.

did the sig thing but everytime I try to save it all it says is there are no subscribed threads to be displayed,guess its a glitch with the site.I can preview it no problem.

Edit: well now it seems to be working.

Thats a 125 wheel most likely. 250's came with the wider 2.15 rims.

come to think of it the rim lock in it say 2.15,guess somebody must have swapped it to a 125 rim at one point in its life.Well I guess I don't need a rim lock if I get a new rim.

I also only have 2 bearings in the rear wheel,I thought the kx 250 had 3 so I guess you may be right in saying its a 125 wheel.

it just came to me I forgot to put the snap ring back into the hub that holds the bearing in,how important is the snap ring?

I've had a few cracked rim welds rewelded over the years. They hold up better than the original weld.:smirk: Like the guy said in an above post, V cut the crack, tig weld, grind the weld down inside and out and buff it out on the outside. Looks almost like new.

I also only have 2 bearings in the rear wheel,I thought the kx 250 had 3 so I guess you may be right in saying its a 125 wheel.

Kawasaki started the 3 wheel bearings in 97 IIRC. So that wheel is from an older 125 or possibly a KDX. To be 100% sure you arent missing a bearing, the inner spacer shouldn't flop around.

it just came to me I forgot to put the snap ring back into the hub that holds the bearing in,how important is the snap ring?

Put the snap ring back on.

inner spacer isn't sloppy,will have to remove the wheel again and install the ring.Doubtfull its a kdx wheel as its 19" but guess its older 125.Will be looking for a replacement from the correct year and size.