Sign in to follow this  

Upgrade my bike, or buy new one?

I have an '05 crf 150f and plan to (finally) upgrade this summer. Its not great at wheelies and handling. I'm not the best rider so it's not all the bikes fault. I'm 16, 6 ft., and 140lbs. I mostly ride offroad, and started riding a year ago. Should I upgrade the 150, or just get a new bike? I've heard the crf 230 isn't that good, so should I go for something more like a crf 250x? Moneys kind of tight so were talking used. Are there any years that I should avoid for the crf 250x? Thanks for any help I get.

The crf230 is bullet proof, and is awesome.

it all depends on what you can get for your bike, if you decide to sell.

I personally like the 150/230 platform but a lot of people have told me I should get a bigger/more powerful bike.

I say go a new bike if you can afford, the crf150f will only go so far with mods. Have you looked at some 2 stroke 125's. At 6ft you should be able to handle it. Coming off a 150f it will seem like a hand full but if you repect it you'll grow into just fine. They do require more maintenance but there great to learn all in the in's and out's of good maintenance and repair.

Although I prefer 4t's, I've thought about getting a 2t. I'm good with engines so I could handle the maintenance. I can't think of alot of downsides to a 2t besides maintenance and mixed gas. I wonder what would be a better off-roader, 125 2t or 250 4t? I'm guessing the 250 outweighs the 125 in torque...

Although I prefer 4t's, I've thought about getting a 2t. I'm good with engines so I could handle the maintenance. I can't think of alot of downsides to a 2t besides maintenance and mixed gas. I wonder what would be a better off-roader, 125 2t or 250 4t? I'm guessing the 250 outweighs the 125 in torque...

It depends on what kind of riding your going to do, 125's can be hard to handle on slow tech. stuff, espeacilly up hill sections because they lack torque and refuse to lug.

As for maintenance, it's actually less than a four stroke and much easier. Only one oil to change and no filter. You do have to do a top-end but thats nothing compared to all the moving parts on a four stroke. I was hesitant about mixing gas as well but it's really no big deal.

I did have a crf250x like your comsidering and after having it for about 5 months I ended up selling it for a cr125. I am alot happier with the 125. There are some places where I miss the 250x, like when I'm stuck on the side of a steep hill, stalled cause the 125 fell out of the powerband, lugged, and then stalled. And then I have to tippy-toe around the bike to position it right to throw the leg over and give it a kick. Where the 250x would climb the hill no problem, and if it stalled, you just push a button. But for me the con's of the 250x out weighed the pro's. I am much faster through the whoops and turns on the 125 than the 250x. I also didn't like changing both the tranny and engine oil on the 250x, along with those valve adjustments. I like the simplicity and riding style of the 125, but what I like you may hate. I recommand riding a 125 before you make a final decision. You may hate the powerband or who knows maybe you'll change your username to 2tHONDAdude:thumbsup:

i had an crf250r for about three years i set it up for woods and it was a great bike i did one pistion and ring the whole 3 years i owned it and it ran perfect. If i was you i would get an 250 x or an r because in the woods they are so much better than a 125 and your big enough to handle one so no problem there. just respect it right off the back and you will do fine. I came off of a 150f when i got my 250r.