Sign in to follow this  

jetting help

i have an 01 s model. previous owner did 3x3, jet kit, extended fuel screw. currently it has a 25 pilot jet, 155 main and clip in the middle position on the needle. i have played with the fuel screw a bit and so far have best results with it about 3 turns out. my biggest issue is surging at steady throttle mainly at lower rpms. have very little popping on deceleration. anybody have any suggestions? thanks

i have an 01 s model. previous owner did 3x3, jet kit, extended fuel screw. currently it has a 25 pilot jet, 155 main and clip in the middle position on the needle. i have played with the fuel screw a bit and so far have best results with it about 3 turns out. my biggest issue is surging at steady throttle mainly at lower rpms. have very little popping on deceleration. anybody have any suggestions? thanks

May be wrong but I think the 155 mj is too big for a stock pipe. The 22.5 pj will work better with the extended screw. or stock screw with 25 pj. I have the 25 pilot with extended screw and 3x3 mod and mine is at 2.25 turns for the warmer weather. i live at sea level, very humid and hot. I also am running the 155 but i have a billet tip on the stock pipe which is a bigger outlet but not much difference other than sound. Im on clip three on the blue jd needle.

I have light popping on decel from mid range but from WOT i have no popping. thats why i say the 155 mj may be too big. do a search for " jetting" and "jetting spreadsheet" and look what the others are running.

I think you may need to adjust your needle. or replace it. dependign on what you have.

i'm not sure what needle is in it as it was there when i bought the bike. i didn't notice any markings on it when i had the carb apart a few weeks back

i may have found the issue. the end of the vacuum plug had broken off. going to take it for a ride in a bit and see if its any better

definitely alot better now. still has a little bit of surge that happens at low rpms at slow speed