Brand facts

Most brands are known for things like quality, reliability, ext. that most of their stuff has. I'm only 16 and haven't gotten the chance to ride alot of dirt bike brands and was just wondering what some things the brands are known for. And yes I'm a Honda guy, but I'm not just looking for people to say they're the best.

Most brands are known for things like quality, reliability, ext. that most of their stuff has. I'm only 16 and haven't gotten the chance to ride alot of dirt bike brands and was just wondering what some things the brands are known for. And yes I'm a Honda guy, but I'm not just looking for people to say they're the best.

From my personal expierence.

Yamaha: Extremely Reliable. sub par engines.

Honda: bulletproof. cant kill the damn things!

Kawasaki : Tons of power, funky ergonomics for me though.

KTM :VERY well put together, awesome 2 strokes. 4 strokes have arm stretching power. brakes are incredible. well worth the money. repairs are costly and dealer support is limited sometimes though.

Suzuki: never rode one.

JUST MY TWO CENTS... dont bash. KTM is my favorite out of the bunch.

From my personal expierence.

Yamaha: Extremely Reliable. sub par engines.

Honda: bulletproof. cant kill the damn things!

Kawasaki : Tons of power, funky ergonomics for me though.

KTM :VERY well put together, awesome 2 strokes. 4 strokes have arm stretching power. brakes are incredible. well worth the money. repairs are costly and dealer support is limited sometimes though.

Suzuki: never rode one.

JUST MY TWO CENTS... dont bash. KTM is my favorite out of the bunch.[/quote

The early rmz450 had alot of engine issues from my experience the cam chain tensioner would come loose and cause the bike to jump timing it overheated easily And the top end needed to be replaced Somthing like every ten hours per the manual and those ended up being common issues but the rest of the bike and every other rm was sweet And I'm sure Suzuki has evolved those issues as far as yamaha Honda Kawasaki and Ktm I agree with talkinghamster

from my reseach and what ive heard round the 'water cooler'. granted, i am biased and a yamaha guy but thinking about trying ktm or kawasaki.

yamaha: reliable, best suspension out of the box. yz250f is old tech and still a carb

kawasaki: also great suspension, tons of power, also very reliable

honda: best overall package but doesnt seem to excell in any one category

suzuki: best cornering, not sure bout the power. good suspension, not sure about reliability

ktm: tons of power, own the 2stroke market, reliable from what i hear. older models need suspension work to handle well but new models are vastly improved

tm: not alot ive heard but i hear they are as close to a 'factory' bike as you can get in stock form, only one dealer in the us though i believe

husky: reliable from what i hear, heavy, old tech, under powered, dont handle well

keep in mind though every rider will tell you different. and with all the new tech out there, with new bikes they are so close you can pick your favorite color and unless your very picky or a pro youll have a grin from ear to ear. also keep in mind any bike can be suited to you through aftermarket and setting it up to ur liking

Yamaha: Super reliable bikes for poor kids or weekend warriors. Not for hard core racers. Good suspension, good quality components. Yz250f is still carbed, has a slow motor, is behind the times.

KTM: Bikes getting better every year. Besy quality. Best quality components. Best two strokes! Good power. Decent suspension.

Honda: Keeps going downhill every year. They look really cool, that's about it. They have average components, poor reliability nowadays. Poor power, handling. Good suspension.

Suzuki: Good looking, average components, best cornering/handling bikes made, decent suspension, comfortable, powerful, bad transmissions, excellent reliability in my experience.

Kawasaki: very good all around motorcycle. You get alot of bang for the buck. Reliability is good. Power is good. Suspension is good. Ergonamics is good!

These are not facts, but opinions at best....

I have a '05 crf 150f. I'm the third owner, and it looks like I'm the first to give it maintenance besides changing the oil. It starts in 1 to 2 kicks every time. Never broken down on me and I'm kinda disappointed that I'm almost to big for it now (6ft.) but I'm looking forward to a 250 this summer...so in my experience Honda is extremely reliable but since this is my first bike and I've never ridden another brand so I can't really say

i have a '05 crf 150f. I'm the third owner, and it looks like i'm the first to give it maintenance besides changing the oil. It starts in 1 to 2 kicks every time. Never broken down on me and i'm kinda disappointed that i'm almost to big for it now (6ft.) but i'm looking forward to a 250 this summer...so in my experience honda is extremely reliable but since this is my first bike and i've never ridden another brand so i can't really say

lolololol crf-f is only similar to crf-r due to plastic color

Fact: Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki = made in japan ktm= not made in japan

Fact: Chineese bikes = crap!

Fact: all of the top five manufactures are good and you'll have fun on any of them.

Fact: all of the top five manufactures are good and you'll have fun on any of them.

:smirk::thumbsup::smirk::thumbsup:

This is fact, thanks for some sense PR!

Most differences are bike to bike differences. Those sort of things change non stop as makers battle for tech supremacy.

Here are some personality facts about em.

Yamaha: Likes two strokes, often keeps older models around for ages without updates especially if their competition has been discontinued. They are a "stick it out" company. As such their models typically vary from absolute cutting edge to ancient technology. Also a little more in tune with the american populace with their styling.

Honda: HATES two strokes. Doesn't really care too much about their off road machines and as such will be the first brand to drop models or make changes for fear of litigation. Their off road industry is more of an image thing. Sometimes manages good looking machines but doesn't care much about american culture or style.

Kawasaki & Suzuki: I don't know their corporate personalities very well.

The older tecnology air-cooled Honda trail bikes, like the CRF150F and CRF230F are made in Brazil, not Japan. Since 2003 when the came out. We have both a Brazil CRF150F and a Japan XR250R. The fit/finish of the bikes made in Brazil is not as perfect as the Japan bikes were (messy welds, etc) but their are still bullet-proof largely due to their design. The Japan XR's do last 20-30 years. Time will tell if the Brazil CRF's do too.

The best bike is the one that you happen to have in your garage. :smirk:

I've owned a number of bikes over the years and all of them where pretty damn good, being better in one area than others, but rarely better than the sum total of all the different bikes. But, I ride for fun, so these days, I could pick with a blindfold and find a bike that did pretty much everything I asked and was plenty fun.

Best bikes I've owned:

- 1996 XR250R. Not fast, but in the tight woods with a good pilot, a deer.

- 04 CRF450R. Fast & could pound whoops like nobody's business.

- 08 KTM 450XCRW (current skoot). As a trail rider, zero complaints, save not enough time to ride. :smirk:

Yamaha-weird sometimes stupid engineering. Parts are expensive, seem to suck valves fairly often.

Kawasaki-bullet proof motor likes to eat chains and sprockets, likes to blow fork seals.

Honda-suck valves like crazy, (only has one cam which is like having one testicle it still works, it's just not right ha ha)

Suzuki-good motor, middle of the pack in everything else.

Buying anything else is a mistake in my opinion. (including ktm you pay more for less even though they are good bikes) keep in mind this is from a motocross prospective.

I have a '05 crf 150f. I'm the third owner, and it looks like I'm the first to give it maintenance besides changing the oil. It starts in 1 to 2 kicks every time. Never broken down on me and I'm kinda disappointed that I'm almost to big for it now (6ft.) but I'm looking forward to a 250 this summer...so in my experience Honda is extremely reliable but since this is my first bike and I've never ridden another brand so I can't really say

At 6' tall, you are way too big for that bike, depending on where you ride. It's a great bike for any rider just cruising on mellow trails/dirt roads in the woods, but you need a bigger bike with more suspension and motor for anything else.

The trails I've ridden on in Louisiana seem to all have a ton of tree roots across them. I would hate to blaze those trails on that bike; just too soft of a suspension in my opinion, and would probably bottom out on those roots.

What kind of bike are you looking for? I'm from LA too!:smirk:

Yamaha-weird sometimes stupid engineering. Parts are expensive, seem to suck valves fairly often.

Kawasaki-bullet proof motor likes to eat chains and sprockets, likes to blow fork seals.

Honda-suck valves like crazy, (only has one cam which is like having one testicle it still works, it's just not right ha ha)

Buying anything else is a mistake in my opinion. (including ktm you pay more for less even though they are good bikes) keep in mind this is from a motocross prospective.

:smirk::banghead::smirk::prof:

Yamaha uses a 5 valve system, which is supposed to make them more reliable

1. Buy a bag of skittles.

2. open bag of skittles.

3. close eyes

4. place hand in bag, selecting one skittle.

5. Observe color

6. buy bike

I'm an A rider and I pulled out purple...what do I do now?

Can I still go pro with purple? Do big companies sponsor purple bike riders? Help!

suzuki and kawi are the same motor. KTM is more for more not less. and used ktms are the same price range as your precious kawasuckys

:smirk::banghead::smirk::prof:

+1