Need help please!

Hello everyone,

So I bought a kx 85 for my little brother a little over a year ago and he only rode it twice when the bike seized. I originally thought i would just have to redo the top end but this is not the case. As we took off the top end we realized the problem was far more serious when we saw metal shavings in the spark plug and case. So we took it to a buddy of mine and we started taking the low end apart and everything is messed up inside. He then told me with parts and labor it would cost me 1000 dollars to fix and this was the brother price. I only paid 1400 for the whole bike. What i am asking is for advice from some people who have a little more experience than I do seeing that i am a 20 year old college student. My dilemma is that since i only paid 1400 for the bike and don't know what I should do. Here are my options that i have thought of 1. Fix the engine and have a brand new engine?(But my brother is only 12 and still growing so its not really worth it) 2. Buy a bigger bike and sell the 85 as a roller?(I wont get much for a roller) or 3. Find another engine and replace the top end?( The same thing could happen in the future even with a new top end because you never know what the low end looks like without taking it apart.)

Could anyone who has an idea please comment and give me some advice.

Thanks, Nate

1. learn how to fix the bottom end yourself using videos on youtube, this website, and a service manual

2. part out the bike and buy a new one

just some ideas, goodluck

Hello everyone,

So I bought a kx 85 for my little brother a little over a year ago and he only rode it twice when the bike seized. I originally thought i would just have to redo the top end but this is not the case. As we took off the top end we realized the problem was far more serious when we saw metal shavings in the spark plug and case. So we took it to a buddy of mine and we started taking the low end apart and everything is messed up inside. He then told me with parts and labor it would cost me 1000 dollars to fix and this was the brother price. I only paid 1400 for the whole bike. What i am asking is for advice from some people who have a little more experience than I do seeing that i am a 20 year old college student. My dilemma is that since i only paid 1400 for the bike and don't know what I should do. Here are my options that i have thought of 1. Fix the engine and have a brand new engine?(But my brother is only 12 and still growing so its not really worth it) 2. Buy a bigger bike and sell the 85 as a roller?(I wont get much for a roller) or 3. Find another engine and replace the top end?( The same thing could happen in the future even with a new top end because you never know what the low end looks like without taking it apart.)

Could anyone who has an idea please comment and give me some advice.

Thanks, Nate

That does not sound like a brother price. A complete bottom end & top end kit with all the seals is 310.00 from motosport. Only Dealers charge a grand to rebuild a motor, theres got to be a good bike mechanic around with a shop that charges 50 an hour. With that said, 600 bucks plus fluids and tax is around what I used to pay till I just started doing it myself. Now if you need a new cylinder, you need to add about another 300 to it. You are doing both bro, you are past just a top end.

What are you and your brothers riding plans? You wont get squat for a blown bike. The next used bike you buy will probably seize, all the used 60's and 80's we bought did, just got good at fixing it myself after a while. If you rebuild it you will know whats up with the motor and where its been and will run till it blows again, we go through about 2-3 top ends a year on our 60s and 80s and a crank every year. Granted I do this to keep them from blowing up. Even if you bought new, you run the chance of a blown motor and the dealers are not going to replace, there is no warranty. And you bought a race machine, you are going to have to learn how to work on it, stuff breaks, this is an expensive sport which is why I started turning wrenches and making friends with guys that knew what they were doing to get help from time to time. I make real good money and thats the only way we can afford to play. Good luck

I also want to add, with used bikes there is more than just a motor to worry about. Lots of rubber pieces get dried out, gotta keep up on the spokes, clean filters, change the oil, like every other ride. Possible frame damage, all sorts of things that used bikes usually require attention to and are often over looked by most buyers. what year is the bike?

The bike is a 2002

The bike is a 2002

ouch, yeah I think you paid way too much to begin with. It may be worth just fixing and riding for a while.