Aftermarket for 2002 200

Gonna pick up an 02 200 that's in really nice shape for my youngster to get some seat time on a big bike (his first). 'Had a chance to ride an 05 for a while and I think he is going to love it. He rides and races a kx100 setup for the woods and he's about outgrown it at almost 14 years old.

I'm looking at aftermarket parts for this bike, a little thin compared to the later models but OK. Where I seem to find the most problem is with the bling, namely graphics.

Any ideas? Best places to buy OEM and aftermarket?

Also, any common downsides to this bike? I thought the one I rode last weekend had a suprising amount of low end and was very manageable in terms of power (The owner tuned the powervalve for later opening). Not quite like me RM250 but much less likely to tire one out . . . and my RM actually feels a little heavier by comparison.

BTW the one I'm considering is the EXC. Very nice shape, recently rebuilt low end, some new parts here and there.

Thanks!

My last 3 bikes have been 02 200's, and I have no problem getting parts from the local dealer( Clinton county motorsports), after market or OEM.There are a lot of those bikes out there, so parts are still plentiful. I can't help with graphics, because I don't bother with them.I tend to tear them up too quickly.

I think he is looking to Bling-Out the bike for his 14 year old. Not sure how much luck you'll have. I'll bet you tried, but eBay is good for Graphics. I also know Rocky Mtn. has graphics you can kind of design yourself that are not too outrageous.

You boy should love the bike!!!

If you are looking for graphics you might try Hwy over at KTMTalk. Go to the classified section. He sells some pretty nice graphics for a very fair price.

Bling can be had easily, you just need to look. Much of the bike is the same as every other KTM of the era. The 125 and 200 are the same bike just about. Also, the 250, 300, & 380 all use the same plastics, swing arm, subframe, fuel tank, forks, shock, seat etc.

For graphics I've found it best to just have custom made to suit what I want. A full set costs me about 200 bucks but why be cheap I get exactly what I want.

I am on the same path as you just a little ahead. The kid was on a KX100 in 09 and has moved up to full size bikes.

Narrow down to some specifics of what you want to do I am I sure I can help you out with some info;)

Joe...........

My last 3 bikes have been 02 200's.

Wow 3 bikes of the same model and year in a row? What makes someone do that?

The last 2 I found were like brand new, and I really like them.Picked one up last fall that still had original everything on it. Probably had less than 10 hours.$1600 and I'll probably ride it for 3 years without any major work.THAT'S what makes me do it!

Thanks guys. I looked up what Hwy had to offer for graphics and it applies more to later models but thanks just the same as I'll keep on watching. I think I'll let him pick out some graphics after he gets the bike. In the meantime, I'm gonna go with a carbon fiber pipe guard, some Fastway handguards, and maybe an orange Fatbar and some levers and grips to suit.

I think it's gonna be real hard to wait until his b-day in June to give it to him! Gonna hide it in a friends garage. I'll post a few pics when he gets it.

One more question - where do I find frame guards? I see pictures of folks with them on the older bikes but can't find 'em - any ideas?

Well, I got the bike and, yeah, gotta wait 4 WEEKS!

SO I gota know, what did you pay for it?

Joe.......

Factory Effex has nice graphics for the 200. If you really want to make that bike look good, get the rear fender/side panel and airbox plastics for the 04 model and the front number plate/front fender for the new four strokes. the new wrap around fork gaurds also fit

$1,800 . . . very nice shape. Fresh engine with bottom end/top end/cylinder replate. Very well taken care of, runs very well. The owner tuned the powervalve for a upper RPM opening so the power delivery is smooth. Once he gets the hang of things we might tinker to see if he likes a little earlier hit better.

I need to look into the Langston setting, whatever that is.

rhino - can you elaborate a little? I looked at your garage pics. Do you have the 04 plastics? Will they fit my bike or are mods required? The owner already put on a late model front fender/front plate combo that really looks sharp but I'm interested in what I can do for the side/rear and airbox plastics you mention. Thanks!

I have the same bike.. I could not be happier with it.. I have only had it a few months and already I am attached to it :smirk:

I need to look into the Langston setting, whatever that is.

I doubt you will like the Langston setting on the 200. It was designed for the 125. Really makes it sluggish. Try running the mark about halfway between halfway and the upper mark. Too high or too low and my 05 didn't run worth a flip.

rhino - can you elaborate a little? I looked at your garage pics. Do you have the 04 plastics? Will they fit my bike or are mods required? The owner already put on a late model front fender/front plate combo that really looks sharp but I'm interested in what I can do for the side/rear and airbox plastics you mention. Thanks!

I take it you have the 08+ front fender and plate on it? That does make it look nice and is what I did to my 05. Otherwise, if you want to go to the newer one bolt seat, one piece rear fender you need an 04-07 tank, shrouds, seat, subframe, airbox, and rear fender assy. With some searching, you can likely find most of the parts fairly cheap.

I picked up nice graphics from AMR Racing for my '02. They have tons of different styles.