Less invasive hip surgery?

I have a problem with this.

What is less invasive about a procedure in which, through a"small incision" the ball of the femur is removed, and given to the dog, the socket is reamed out, and both are replaced with a man made device that may at some time be recalled by the FDA. And they call this "less invasive"? Less invasive than what, euthanasia?

You may need a hip replacement, but don't drink the "Medical-Industrial" Complex Koolaid!

Has anyone had the new, less invasive hip replacement surgery? I am scheduled to go in for it in mid-June and am curious what to expect.

If you are talking about the anterior approach yes I've had both hips done that way. I was up and moving faster then the other folks by me with the traditional surgery. I had none of the precautions that the other folks did. Also, I was pretty much able to work around the house in 4-5 weeks and back to work in 6 weeks after the doc released me. No matter which way you go it is going to kick yur ass for the first couple of weeks. The way my doc put it was; I'm going to cut, saw, and hammer on you and you are going to be sore as hell, and I was, but the joint pain relief was instant! Good luck!

I have a problem with this.

What is less invasive about a procedure in which, through a"small incision" the ball of the femur is removed, and given to the dog, the socket is reamed out, and both are replaced with a man made device that may at some time be recalled by the FDA. And they call this "less invasive"? Less invasive than what, euthanasia?

You may need a hip replacement, but don't drink the "Medical-Industrial" Complex Koolaid!

I was using the term "less invasive" in relation to the older "more invasive" surgery. Any time you go in and hog out the bone of someone and then cut the end of the femur off, it WILL be invasive. But thanks for giving me the gruesome details. (My dog is anxiously awaiting the surgery day).

If you are talking about the anterior approach yes I've had both hips done that way. I was up and moving faster then the other folks by me with the traditional surgery. I had none of the precautions that the other folks did. Also, I was pretty much able to work around the house in 4-5 weeks and back to work in 6 weeks after the doc released me. No matter which way you go it is going to kick yur ass for the first couple of weeks. The way my doc put it was; I'm going to cut, saw, and hammer on you and you are going to be sore as hell, and I was, but the joint pain relief was instant! Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I only need one done. The other is almost perfect. June 27th is "D-day".