Sign in to follow this  

should i offer him a grand?

i have offered 1050... going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon after a ride.. please please tell me what things i should look for.. i am such a noob about 2 strokes

please please tell me what things i should look for..

Grab the rear wheel tug it back and forth and look for play in the wheel bearings, swing arm, and lower shock linkages. Tight is good. See if it looks like the front shocks are leaking from the seals. Look at the front and back brake systems. Check to see if the rims are straight. Look at the oil and make sure it doesnt have water/antifreeze in it (it will look gray or milky). Pull the plug to see what the jetting looks like. Sometimes the rear shock isnt rebuildable due to damage-if you buy a different shock lots of times it will need rebuilding too. And for gods sake just go right ahead and put a new top end in it so you dont blow up your investment. Sellers almost always say it's been done recently, even when it hasnt. Look at the air filter and try to notice if it's clean or if it looks like crap. Check the case for oil leaking at the seal and check it for cracks from a thrown chain...you know what old JB Weld looks like?...lol

• Like 1

look at the bottom of frame to see if its been crushed, also look for damage to cases and drain bolt (I see no skid plate on bike). look at bike from rear at a distance to see if subframe is bent. I notice one of the front fork tube guards is missing. look it over close to see what else is missing. it adds up quick. like above poster said get it up on a stand to see if wheels and or bearings are shot. ask him if he's willing to pull the pipe so you can peak at the "new top end".

• Like 1

i have offered 1050... going to pick it up tomorrow afternoon after a ride.. please please tell me what things i should look for.. i am such a noob about 2 strokes

for starters you should offer after you look/ride the bike. i hang up on people who make offers without seeing it.

check the chain condition and tension, air filter. grab the swingarm, front forks, etc and shake them, feel for slop. all the normal bike stuff

for starters you should offer after you look/ride the bike. i hang up on people who make offers without seeing it.

check the chain condition and tension, air filter. grab the swingarm, front forks, etc and shake them, feel for slop. all the normal bike stuff

Wow - I make my top offer on the phone all the time, with the understanding that it can go down. I don't waste gas money otherwise.

Agree. If they aren't gonna budge on the price, I often won't get in the truck to go look at it. However, at 1150, I probably would have just gone to see it. Any running 2 stroke selling for around a grand today is a pretty good deal. Supply and demand, yo.

Looks like a good buy, btw. Check swingarm bearings and stuff, sure. For that price though I would expect it to need them, and wouldn't be turned off by a little play in the linkage or wheel bearings.

I will NEVER offer over the phone, nor will I accept an offer over the phone. It works in the favor of the buyer usually anyway. For example, Buddy wants $1200 for his bike. I offer $1000 over the phone, he tells me to pound sand.

Now, I go ride it, and look for bargaining chips. "Needs new tires, bearings are shot, etc." Now the lowest he says he'll take is $1200, but I just happen to wave $1000 around, and offer to load it up. Chances are once he sees the cash, and therefore that I'm serious, he'll take my offer.

worth a $1000 i would say, start replacing bearings and seals but do the top end first. You will end up with another $500 to $700 in it over the next year, and the bike will be in good shape.

Go ride it and check it out. Look for major problems, like bad engine vibration, damaged frame, damaged cases, etc.

Look at the air filter. If it looks bad, then know in your heart, no matter how bad you want it, that the engine looks the same on the inside.