Last year I saw a thread about someone who made their own oil temp gauge using the Harbor Freight meat thermometer for an XR650. Thought it was a great idea as it was cheap and I have access to fun tools. Of course it was a last minute idea and I tried to make it before our Colorado trip last year, but it ended up being too tall and the handle bars would hit it when turning. On a XR650 I think the dipstick is located further back than on my XR400 eliminating the height problem. I didn't have time to fix it before we left and it got tossed somewhere in the hellhole I call a garage. Well I was cleaning the garage today and came across the project... It's a stainless metric bolt that matches the dipstick threads. I turned the head down in the lathe and also drilled a hole for the thermometer stick. I then eyeballed the angle and cut it the mill. At the same time I drilled a pocket where the battery could recess into so the LCD would sit flat. For the thermometer the case already separates so the battery can be changed. I cut off the bottom half that attaches to the stick, as the thermocouple wires pass right through this half. This leaves the top half with the battery protruding ~3/16ths past the half. The battery actually fits in the pocket so snuggly that it's not going to take much silicon to make the rest of it happy. I'll take so more pictures tomorrow as that will help explain things much better. I'll also see if I can't mate the thermometer to the bolt better.