Sign in to follow this  

honda tl250 project

Hi Everyone, I thought I would post a little about my bike I'm working on. It's been a on going project for about three years now. I'll post before pictures some other time. The whole bike was camoflaged. I had to save it. I tore it all apart. I removed everything I could from the frame before I repainted it. (side panel mounts, kick stand mounts, etc...) I fabricated the front and rear fender mounts. I'm using foot pegs off a drz400e. They are nice and wide, but I had to make some parts to make them work. The front wheel was relaced. I smoothed and polished the triple clamps. I'm currently making a small seat and side panels for it. The air box will have to be modded for the side panels. It's a lot thinner this way. Stock seat was real heavy. Next I need to fabricate a rear exhaust and muffler, paint the engine side covers and look for ways to save weight. All the normal wear items are new. Handlebars, cables, lever etc... more later, chris

0508011627.jpg

0516011636.jpg

0516011637.jpg

downsized_0508011627a.jpg

0517011206.jpg

Thanks. I saw your bike post. Your bike looks good. I still have alot I would like to get done to mine, but I'm riding it like it is now. I want to get my side panels and small seat finished up the next few days. The bike is alot thinner without the stock seat. I'm trying to keep the stock airbox, but it will have to be modifed on both sides so my side panels will sit flat againt the frame. The exhaust will be the only other big thing I need to do. I need to fabricate a muffler and rear pipe. I would like to make a trial the next month or so. My 10year olds want to ride trials. I'm looking for a small sherco or beta for him. I'm thanking a 125. Glad to see others siding the old tl's around. Chris

your bikes looking sweet man! what kinda pro taper bars are those? what bend?

im looking to get some bars for my TY 250 i just got and I'm not sure what to get.

i was thinking just the tallest bars i could find?

Hi Well done on saving another TL. I'm about two months into my rehab project. I squeezed Montesa 4RT foot pegs onto mine (about double the width of what counted as stock 36 years ago).

IMG_5579.jpg

The 4RT pegs extend towards the rear, whereas I see your DRZ pegs extend from the mounts forward. Polished triple clamps are cool. I'm currently looking at adapting an RS250 seat (made of GRP) and of the right length but about one inch too narrow throughout its length!. For an exhaust, I've sourced a Honda CT200 exhaust which is a 1985 farm bike design of high volume, just as Honda experimented with in the '80s with their works RTLs. Still lots to do and fun all the way (in between bouts of frustration over stripped threads, rusted parts, and previous owner 'improvements'). Ross

IMG_5585.jpg

Edited by NonstopRoss
to add photo

The handle bars are rental high trials bend. Ryan Young has them. I'm sure the other trails shops will to. Hey nonstopross, did the ct header pipe just bolt right on? Would other 200 header pips also work? The biggest thing I have to do is replace the exhaust. I think I will try to make my own muffler. I like the way my triple clamps turned out, but I had a crazy amount of time on them. Also the front fender mount I made. I have my new set made and RH side panel done. I moded the right side of the airbox yesturday. I will post pictures when done. The bike is pretty narrow with the side panel flat againt the frame rails. Maybe we should all get together and have a vintage four stoke nationals....LOL chris

"Did the ct header pipe just bolt right on? Would other 200 header pips also work? "

Don't know about the header, but the muffler requires a little bending to align with the header pipe. Alas, none of the mounting brackets line up, so the pipe bender is going to weld some new brackets onto the pipe for me to fit the TL OEM positions. On the other hand, my pipe is only one year old - made by Musket Mufflers to CT200 1985 replacement spec.

CT200pipe.jpg

I want to have a quiet pipe and have a pipe with volume that will help the low-end response. Honda put quite a lot of volume into the RTLs and works bikes of the '80s for just this reason. Volume keeps the torque peak lower in the rev range. A straight pipe-with-muffler-on-the-end will be lighter, and liberate some horsepower, but at the expense of the low end.

"Did the ct header pipe just bolt right on? Would other 200 header pips also work? "

Don't know about the header, but the muffler requires a little bending to align with the header pipe. Alas, none of the mounting brackets line up, so the pipe bender is going to weld some new brackets onto the pipe for me to fit the TL OEM positions. On the other hand, my pipe is only one year old - made by Musket Mufflers to CT200 1985 replacement spec.

CT200pipe.jpg

I want to have a quiet pipe and have a pipe with volume that will help the low-end response. Honda put quite a lot of volume into the RTLs and works bikes of the '80s for just this reason. Volume keeps the torque peak lower in the rev range. A straight pipe-with-muffler-on-the-end will be lighter, and liberate some horsepower, but at the expense of the low end.

A BIG Plus 1 about the volume and low end torque. !!

I never learnt to weld so had this work done by a pro. Pipe is a little more than a year old. Made by musket.co.nz as a replica of a 1985 CT200 farm bike. Seems farmers leave their bikes out in the rain covered in sheep sh*t and other such pipe-eating substances and so mufflers don't last long at all. This is the type of 1985 CT200 I mean. Not of the step-thru CT100 family.

ct2001.gif

Top mount on CT200 pipe was cut off, moved rearward about 6 inches and rewelded on.

IMG_6002.jpg

IMG_5997.jpg

"S" bend of CT pipe was not a match as the angle was not quite acute enough to clear the TL frame cross-member. The pipe was also a tad too short and did not complete the top of the "S" to be a fit to the existing TL header pipe. So a new "S" was crafted to snake over the cross member to fit the header and also to provide a lower mounting bracket. The muffler also ends up being slimmer than the original triangular beast right where the top of your boot is. Very happy with the final job.

Great job on your pipe. Looks good. I still haven't desided what to do about my pipe. I have a stock pipe, but its wasy to heavy. I did order some new falcon shocks for it yesturday and I almost have the new seat and side panels done. I'm still doing the mods on the airbox right now. I post more pics when the shocks get here. chris

Hi The seat is my next job. Just made myself a cardboard version that will become the mold for either an alu or a GRP seat base. My role model is the RS250 seat with shallow sides integral to the seat base, rather than the separate side covers of the TL. Here's an RS style seat base.

RS250-seat.gif

Edited by NonstopRoss
Added info.

Make a mold and do fiberglass/carbonfiber! Then you can always make more!

Excited to see what ya come up with!!!

I coming around to that way of thinking too. With Glass Reinforced Plastic (GRP) the colour can be impregnated too. Every TLR200/250 I see has sidepanel/seat paint worn away by boots. Aluminum panels just aren't as elegant. Don't know about working with carbon fibre, but Auckland has its fair share of boat builders, so I'll try and find one who can help.

I have played with composites some...pretty easy to pick up on.

Shoot me a pm if you run into any snags. There is a ton of info out there on making molds/parts/plugs.

recieved some new falcon shocks today from B and J racing. Finished side panel and seat. Still working on modding the airbox. Bike is alot thinner now. I repainted the aft exhaust section. I need to paint the side cover of the engine this week. I have a couple trials I would like to make in july including vintage days.

0609010108.jpg0609010108a.jpg0609010108b.jpg

HI

Your TeaL is looking good

How do the shocks feel? Had the chance to hit any logs yet and gone Jeez that is so much easier?

Looks like a domino side pull throttle? Did you have to make a custom cable.

Sophisticated lever set-up you have there on your bars. Seems like we Tl-owners add weight as much as we try and take off weight sometimes.

Seat and side panels look good. When it came to planning your seat layout, Did you cut off the raised cross bar that sits across the frame behind the tank mount? I'm in two minds as to cut it off means the seat can be lower. But then if I keep it, I can build a seat base that might fit over and hide the tank mount. I'm on my third cardboard seat mold/template at the moment and haven't quite nailed the shape yet.

Edited by NonstopRoss
Added comment re photo

Hey nonstopross, The gas tank mount is intack, but I did cut the little side panels mounts of the gas tank. The gas tank mounting bolt doesn't get in the way. The seat base was made out of .080 6061 and is velcroed to the frame. It's good enough to sit on to get me between sections and I could still throw the stock seat on if I wanted. I had all my cables made up at b&j. I think he made the cable for the throttle too. It's been several years ago and hard to remember. The bike was apart for over three years. I haven't had time to test the shocks yet. I will ride so this weekend. Any thing will be better thasn the worn out stockers. I'm trying to come up with a good color for the engine side panels. Any suggestions?

Just this weekend in the Trials Central forum I saw pictures of a lovingly modified TL125. Owner is 'solvent3'. Search his garage and you will see that he has posted 15 photos of modifications, including details on re-spraying his tank. What he has done is fit a carbon-fibre look-a-like panel made of vinyl on to the aluminum. Then clear coated over the lot. Check it out. It takes that '70s bare aluminum look and moves it on a decade or three. I might try this myself. Or go the white tank and white side panels look as Honda did on the works bikes of the early '80s.