Bought a used bike, need jetting advice from the pro's!

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums here but have already learned a TON about my new-to-me 2005 450x, from all of you. So first, I'd like to thank each and every one of you that share your knowledge and expertise. Now... it appears that the previous owner of this bike had done a few mods. The side of the airbox is cut-out to match the number plate and the top snorkel is gone. The smog pump was removed and replaced with a block off kit. There are some radiator braces, and a cool looking carbon skid plate thrown on too. What I'm trying to figure out now, is if there is a JDJetting kit in the carb. I pulled it apart some to take a peek, and the top of the needle is blue. The main jet is a 165 (stock is 142?) and the slow jet is a 45 which I think is stock also. I didn't take the bowl off or check the leak jet, but it shoots a pretty good stream of fuel when I open the throttle. Could the blue-top needle be from some other place than the JD kit? It's curious to me because everyone in the jetting thread says they use the RED needle. I'm down in the southern California desert (palm springs area), so anyone that knows what works well in these here parts, I'd love to hear what you have to say. And If anyone knows of places (I'm new to this area) or wants to go riding around here, shoot me a message. Thanks!

Chet

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forums here but have already learned a TON about my new-to-me 2005 450x, from all of you. So first, I'd like to thank each and every one of you that share your knowledge and expertise. Now... it appears that the previous owner of this bike had done a few mods. The side of the airbox is cut-out to match the number plate and the top snorkel is gone. The smog pump was removed and replaced with a block off kit. There are some radiator braces, and a cool looking carbon skid plate thrown on too. What I'm trying to figure out now, is if there is a JDJetting kit in the carb. I pulled it apart some to take a peek, and the top of the needle is blue. The main jet is a 165 (stock is 142?) and the slow jet is a 45 which I think is stock also. I didn't take the bowl off or check the leak jet, but it shoots a pretty good stream of fuel when I open the throttle. Could the blue-top needle be from some other place than the JD kit? It's curious to me because everyone in the jetting thread says they use the RED needle. I'm down in the southern California desert (palm springs area), so anyone that knows what works well in these here parts, I'd love to hear what you have to say. And If anyone knows of places (I'm new to this area) or wants to go riding around here, shoot me a message. Thanks!

Chet

The only thing that matters is how it runs. How does it run?

Lol Nice! I agree.

I've only got about an hour or so on it. It runs better than my old '87 KTM 600 LC4, and starts on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Beyond that I don't have much to compare it to. I was just concerned about it being too lean and looking for a baseline setup, and everyone raves about the JD kits.

I've only got about an hour or so on it. It runs better than my old '87 KTM 600 LC4, and starts on the 1st or 2nd kick every time. Beyond that I don't have much to compare it to. I was just concerned about it being too lean and looking for a baseline setup, and everyone raves about the JD kits.

I use the red needle year-round, but if it ain't broke don't fix it. The red needle is intended for warm climates unlike the blue needle. Yes, the stock main is a 142. Your bike is set.

From your description it sounds like you are good to go.

If you have a hesitation upon quick throttle action, you might need a smaller (50) leak jet.

So we're assuming that blue top needle is from a JD kit? Or could it be something else? It's approaching 100+ degree temps here and am wondering if i might need to adjust in a month or so... In the meantime, I'll stop worrying and enjoy riding it! Thanks again guys for all of your help!