Sign in to follow this  

what's go's wrong with the 09 CRF's?

hey all, i'm looking into buying an 09 CRF450R secondhand, with 15 hours on it, i'm just wondering what problems do the CRF's have as far as reliability go's? i ride alot, both MX and enduro (but mostly enduro) and put around 200 hours a year on my bikes and would like at least a year of not having to open the engine on whatever i get.

i'v heard a few things, like leaking fuel injector's, gearbox troubles, hard starting, flaming out ect, just wondering what issues there are, and what the fixes for these issues are, cheer's.

I've had my 09 for just over a year and had my first part break, the rear rimlock went. Other than that I've changed the oil often and got rid of the stock chain. The starting isn't bad but not as good as my carbed 06. As for flame out, adjust the clutch so the lever has very little play and you shouldn't have a problem. Other than that, no issues for me, although the stock shock is very stiff. People complain of the forks being too soft but its more from the shock being so stiff and feeling unbalanced. It was still miles ahead of my 06 but once I got the shock softened up everything really fell into place for handling.

Why would a FI bike that is perfectly jetted be harder to start than a bike with jets? I always thought that the new FI bikes would be easy to start.

Better watch out by adjusting your clutch to where it almost has no play in it, cuase your going to burn it up for sure riding it like that... :smirk::thumbsup:

Why would a FI bike that is perfectly jetted be harder to start than a bike with jets? I always thought that the new FI bikes would be easy to start.
efi is ony s good as the map that tells it what to do, im hoping theres an easily accesable map that fixes the problem

efi is ony s good as the map that tells it what to do, im hoping theres an easily accesable map that fixes the problem

Get with Eddie Sisneros here on TT. He's got a MAP that totally fixes what your talking about!!! :smirk::thumbsup:

I've bought my 09 in dec of 08 and just hit 108 hrs & my right side main bearing let go. luckily i caught it early and no further engine damage occured. iI ride strictly mx and have had no other mechanical problems. i absolutly love this bike. if you get that bike you may want to look into getting a rear link really helps balance the suspension & handling. And wow you ride approx 200 hrs a year lucky you!