2t vs 4t

I have a 4t Honda (surprise surprise) but don't get to ride any 2t's...yet. But since I have no first hand with 2t's, and because my next bike might be one, what are pros and cons of the two types? I know basic stuff like 2t's make more hp and 4t's have more bottom end. Also as a side question, which one makes a better all around trail bike? Thanks for the help.

They both have ups and downs.

But for me it this as follows.

2t pros:

1. cost of motor repairs and some parts.

2. The sound

3. The smile on my face while ridding

4. Feels lighter

2T Cons:

None from me.

4T pros:

1. Easier to ride

2. No mixing of gas

3. Engine braking

4T cons:

1. Motor repair cost and some parts

2. Weight

Lets us all not throw bananas at each other just list what for you like and hate about them like mature adults. If I can not be biased toward only 2T than I know you all can to.:smirk:

DoubleFacePalm1.jpg

Hillarious, I was thinking the same. OP, there has been so many threads on here with debates on this along with pros and cons, and which is better for this or that when it comes to 2T's and 4T's. Most of the time these threads turn into a debate from 2T guys swearing theirs is better, and 4T guys saying theirs is better. That's most likely why you are seeing the Double Face Palm, if you didn't know already.

If you do a search, you will probably have weeks or months of reading material, and probably confuse yourself on this topic more then you already may be. I would suggest finding a buddy who has a 2T, and ask them to let you ride it around for a bit and form your own opinion based off your experience with it. In my own humble opinion.

I know basic stuff like 4t's have more bottom end.

I guess not, if your looking at trail two/four strokes, like ktm 250 xc-w, or gasgas 250 or husqvarna 250 vs 4 strokes like WR250, crf250x ktm250 gasgas250 the two strokes have much more bottom end than the 4 strokes do.

whoever told you 4t's have more bottom end lied to you

question, why do you call them as 2t and 4t? do you mean 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

Yea this has been gone over a million times...depends what you ride. Offroad is big around where I live (western PA) and I know and ride with many higher level riders (A class gncc, awrcs etc...) and no one I ride with rides a 4 stroke, everyone that had one switched back to 2 strokes within the last 2 years. I know about 7 people on YZ250's alone. However...if you live where motocross is the big thing, you'll likely find many more people on 4 strokes. Cost of a 4 stroke is always a concern, friends of mine that raced them hard and blew them up had no choice but to go back to 2 strokes after experiencing the rebuild cost of a 4 stroke motor. Im a 2 stroke person however I like riding 4 strokes..they are still fun, have alot of power...I just dont want to own one.

question, why do you call them as 2t and 4t? do you mean 2 stroke and 4 stroke?

It's an abbreviation for 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I don't know why, but it is.

It's an abbreviation for 2 stroke and 4 stroke. I don't know why, but it is.

comes from the german word for cycle, stroke, phase, cant remember which

O cool thanks.

The "T" in 2T/4T is for takt.

yeah which in turn means phase or whatever it is, i dont think it is a perfect translation

I cleaned up this thread. I don't like cleaning up threads. If you have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion than kindly stay out of it.

Thank You.

I'm pretty sure my post (double face palm) was the most relevant one :smirk:

I'll try to be helpful... because I own a rm250 and a yz250f...

2 stroke

cheap repairs

more line choices on a track/around a corner

the fun hit when its on the pipe

lighter

4 stroke

feels like instant torque

easier to manage traction when things get nasty

"feels" slower (my most consistent lap times are on my yzf... I can be a few seconds faster on the rm when things come together)

i own a 2003 cr250 and a 2006 crf250r. to me the crf250r seems like an overall better bike (IMO) but the cr250 is cheaper to maintain and has a lot more power, and overall a real fun bike as well. the crf250r seems to handle better and have better suspension but that is mosty likely because of the fact that it is a newer bike.. overall it comes down to personal preference. both 2 strokes and 4 strokes are a lot of fun. and also, torque wise it just depends on the bike, not if its 2 stroke or 4 stroke.

the one thing about the 2t that i think is a con is the power band is so um specific

Ride both and make an informed choice.....For yourself

I cleaned up this thread. I don't like cleaning up threads. If you have nothing intelligent to add to the discussion than kindly stay out of it.

Thank You.

After reading your signature thesis on "gun control" can't say I readily believe you're qualified to sift through a thread and determine which post is intelligent or not.... Remove direct personal attacks as you wish but if you start going after posts that lack some prerequisite "intelligence" you ARE treading on DANGEROUS and unsustainable ground.

To be clear this web site, the knowledge herein, the banter between groups (eg. 4t-vs-2t), the glimpses into others riding areas and lives and the ability to pose questions to like-minded but more knowledgeable folks always leaves me with a great impression of TT in general, HOWEVER an Orwellian monitoring of "intelligence" does just the opposite.

Plain and simply, your implication that the posts removed (never read them so I have no clue of their contents) lacked "intelligence" IS a personal attack of the highest order and reflects poorly on TT.

Yes this is a criticism, and I know you guys are trying to "clean up" sections of the website, Which is good, just be careful how you do so!:smirk:

After reading your signature thesis on "gun control" can't say I readily believe you're qualified to sift through a thread and determine which post is intelligent or not.... Remove direct personal attacks as you wish but if you start going after posts that lack some prerequisite "intelligence" you ARE treading on DANGEROUS and unsustainable ground.

To be clear this web site, the knowledge herein, the banter between groups (eg. 4t-vs-2t), the glimpses into others riding areas and lives and the ability to pose questions to like-minded but more knowledgeable folks always leaves me with a great impression of TT in general, HOWEVER an Orwellian monitoring of "intelligence" does just the opposite.

Plain and simply, your implication that the posts removed (never read them so I have no clue of their contents) lacked "intelligence" IS a personal attack of the highest order and reflects poorly on TT.

Yes this is a criticism, and I know you guys are trying to "clean up" sections of the website, Which is good, just be careful how you do so!:smirk:

So, you think a poster starting a thread with a serious question should be assaulted by members telling him to buy certain powerbands, etc?

Simply amazing.

what powerband he is running is just about as important as the 2t vs 4t debate in my opinion.

every week the pros and cons get beat to death, it comes down to the individual is the conclusion that probably 95% of people make, and I agree with aswell