Sign in to follow this  

Generator Issue with A/C

Hi everyone,

I am new to the site and just got back into riding dirtbikes with my kids. A few months ago I purchased a 7x16 enclosed trailer and ran outlets, 15,000btu roof mount A/C and lights all through an electrical box all to run off my 5000watt generator. This is where my question/issue comes into play. My generator has 1 dual outlet for 120v 20amp and 1 dual outlet for 240v 20amp. When I plug my trailer into the 120v 20amp circuit it all works perfect until I turn on the A/C (16amp draw) it bogs my generator and it starts blowing smoke through the exhaust. Once I shut the A/C off it run perfect again. I notice most of the new generators have a 30amp plug 110/220 outlet and mine doesn't. Would this be the issue? I don't want to go buy a new generator to find out thats not the problem.

Any help would be great!!

Thanks

Alain

change the breaker box to 240v feed, 2 hots and a netural, and add a ground for safety, the higher voltage will deliver 20amps more efficientlly.

change the breaker box to 240v feed, 2 hots and a netural, and add a ground for safety, the higher voltage will deliver 20amps more efficientlly.

Thanks for the info. I will get my buddy to rewire the breaker box as electricity and I do mix very well :smirk: lol.

Whether you rewire or not for some reason it sounds like the generator can't handle the load. A 5kw should easily handle a 15,000 AC unit. Some of the cheapo generators cannot deal with motor start loads, will bog down and not recover because you can't start the compressor in the AC.

This seems somewhat more likely in this case. You can easily load test your machine to 5kw but this still won't tell you how well it will do on motor start. One modification some people do on RV air conditioners is wire in a short (2 or 3 seconds) delay relay to the fan motor. This reduces initial motor start current since the compressor will start first, come up to speed and then the fan.

Depending on the efficiency of the air conditioner it could possibly have a running load of up to 4kw. If so, your generator is too small. There should be a specification plate attached. If it's 3600 watts or less than the relay should work. If it's more than it's dubious unless you have a quality generator. Don't forget, some of the generator people inflate their ratings too.