Sign in to follow this  

USD conversion: XR650L with WR 250 forks?

Is it possible to put 09 WR250 forks on an 09 XR650L? Has anyone put Yamaha forks on an XL? Are the upper and lower fork braces compatible? What I would like to do is upgrade my WR forks with YZ cartridge types and use the stock WR forks on my XL. I realize the springs and settings will need to change to handle the extra weight. Any help is greatly appreciated.

If by fork braces you mean triple clamp assembly, then no, they aren't compatable. You would need the triples from the WR setup and use the YZ triples on the WR.

And that's if the steering stems can be made to match.

that's what I meant to ask, can I use the WR triple clamp on the XL. There is a great suspension guy that lives near me but I doubt he's done a job like this. The first step for me is to find some YZ forks to get this going. Anyone have a pair for sale?

that's what I meant to ask, can I use the WR triple clamp on the XL. There is a great suspension guy that lives near me but I doubt he's done a job like this. The first step for me is to find some YZ forks to get this going. Anyone have a pair for sale?

Why are you set on Yamaha forks? A lot of people use CR forks. Pretty much any inverted style fork would be better for stability. WR, RM, CR even KTM forks.

Someone was selling set of YZF450 shocks that fit a 650L a while back, you would just have to have a machine shop build a custom stem or find bearings that would fit the XR frame and the (Yamaha) stem

Check out All Balls Bearings website. They sell a bunch of conversion bearings. The only way to really know though is to test fit them. Who would have thought that RM250 forks would fit...

P5010679.jpg

Forks is forks for the most part.

There aren't that many fork manufacturers, Yamy, Zuki, Kaw, Honda, don't have proprietary suppliers for the most part.

Like CFRacer said , its' just getting a stem to work, whether it's machine work or finding a "custom" bearing to mate the two different bike parts.

Thanks, ya'll. The only reason I mention WR forks is because that is what I have available. (As soon as I upgrade my WR forks with YZ cartridge types). Sounds like I just need to make the steering stem fit.

:smirk:

I was worried about the same thing when I landed the RM forks. The only way to know is to tear in and see what it will take. Worst case scenario is you'll have to get a new stem carved for it. I thought I was going to have to do that, but the conversion bearing made it all work. The All Balls bearings are $40 each, so you want to be fairly sure that everything will work before you spring for them. If not, it's $80 wasted and you still have to spring for a new stem...

When it was all said and done, I came out about even on the swap after I sold off my OEM front end.