Sign in to follow this  

4L drained out of my DRZ...

I bought this motorcycle used. 2900 miles. 2007 DR-Z400SM.

The guy assured me all its oil changes were done at the correct time, etc...

I go to drain the oil today, and my oil pan damn near spills over the edges it's so full... In total, about 4L... FOUR LITERS of oil comes out of the engine.

There was never oil coming out of the exhaust, and there was no oil spilling out when I removed my starter gear cover.

I'm hoping she'll be ok.

Is 2.3L extra oil going to mean certain death for this machine? Should I sell it?

I'm so angry with the previous owner!!:smirk:

Hmm, that's strange. Maybe the PO checked the oil when the motor was cold (and the oil had drained into the crankcase) and thought he'd fill it back up? That's my guess, 4L is double the capacity of the frame tank.

4L is pretty much exactly what comes in the big jugs too... I'm assuming whoever did this has zero business touching motorcycles and just dumped the container in.

Because all motorcycles need 4L of oil. Because they're motorcycles, and they're all the same.

Since it's a dry sump engine I don't think over filling some will hurt it but twice as full is more than a bit. I think you'll still be ok unless one of the experts says different.

Another thing to ask is did the oil smell like gas? If the vacuum petcock is leaking or is left in the PRI position it is possible for fuel to get past the needle/seat in the float bowl and into the top end where it drains down into the crank case and makes it look like you have a lot more oil than you should.

with just under 2 liters of oil in mine I dont see how the ???? I would fit 2 more liters. something doesnt sound right unless like jobistober said he checked it when cold and filled it up again. I would think if that was the case the extra oil would try to escape somewhere? when i change the oil I drain the frame and the sump and the filter housing and rock the bike back and for a few times and that seems to get it all out. cause when I fill it back up with 1.8 qts or liters its usally right on. I also remove the starter clutch and wipe the nasty out of it cause it is usually much blacker that the oil itself. And I clean the screen in the oil line every other oil change or 2000 miles. Lots of filter fibers seem to end up there.

I am sure your bike is ok. But this goes to show why correctly checking the level is needed.

To simplify things, I check the oil at the end of the day and add it needed. I know when I get on, as long as there is no pool of oil under it, the level is fine.

I have a friend with a similar oiling system on his Yamaha. Cold bike, he looks in the tank, sees it is low, adds oil, then all the excess gets blown out the breather on his bike (it is not at all tolerant like a DRZ is to over filling). Funny part is that this happens over and over and over. He is too lazy to check it at the end of the day but not too lazy to look when he starts out.

You can safely put 2 liters or 2 quarts in with a filter change, not a problem.

Since it's a dry sump engine I don't think over filling some will hurt it but twice as full is more than a bit. I think you'll still be ok unless one of the experts says different.

Another thing to ask is did the oil smell like gas? If the vacuum petcock is leaking or is left in the PRI position it is possible for fuel to get past the needle/seat in the float bowl and into the top end where it drains down into the crank case and makes it look like you have a lot more oil than you should.

Neupe! Oil smelled only like oil. No gassy smell whatsoever.

Appreciate all the responses!! I love TT. So, from what I read above, I think I'll be ok. I'm hoping this is just a waste of oil from the PO and not the end of my machine.

with just under 2 liters of oil in mine I dont see how the ???? I would fit 2 more liters. something doesnt sound right unless like jobistober said he checked it when cold and filled it up again. I would think if that was the case the extra oil would try to escape somewhere? when i change the oil I drain the frame and the sump and the filter housing and rock the bike back and for a few times and that seems to get it all out. cause when I fill it back up with 1.8 qts or liters its usally right on. I also remove the starter clutch and wipe the nasty out of it cause it is usually much blacker that the oil itself. And I clean the screen in the oil line every other oil change or 2000 miles. Lots of filter fibers seem to end up there.

I'm just as bewildered! All I know is... 4L came out. I bet my face was priceless when it just kept draining and draining... and draining....

I think you'll be fine. You're obviously more competent than the PO, as you're here asking questions to be more sure of yourself. I don't recall ever seeing a thread from a guy asking "Is it ok to put 4L of oil in my DRZ?".

Put some new oil in it and ride. :smirk:

You did drain from the case drain and the frame drain...correct?

100% correct amigo.

I've drained my coolant, oil, cleaned the frame screen, and am just about to perform all of my LocTite fixes. Got the case covers off and even did it without tearing gaskets!

I want to punch the PO.

Be glad too much came out than too little...

Hahahaha

Funny you should mention... that was my thought when I was draining the oil on this new (to me) bike.

"Please God please let there be oil in the engine..."

Well thank God, there was oil in the engine. I just wasn't expecting that much!!

I'm just as bewildered! All I know is... 4L came out. I bet my face was priceless when it just kept draining and draining... and draining....

disgruntled confusion face. not too good. :smirk:

seems the bike will be fine. get out and :smirk:

after that celebrate that the bike is fine:cheers: