200 vs. 300 when riding slow.

First off, I am currently riding a 07 300 XCW. Lately, I am riding at least 50% of the time with my 9 year old son. I believe this trend will continue and likely increase. Riding the 300 at a learning 9 year old's pace is not exactly ideal as the bike likes to be ridden hard. My best option might be to get a XR 200 or something along those lines for riding with him, but I don't really want another bike to maintain and take up space if I can help it.

How is the ktm 200 in comparison to the 300 for slower/easier riding? Honestly, I can easily get by with less bike because I am not using the full potential of the 300 most of the time. I also tend to ride a gear low with the RPMs up high (on the pipe), which may favor the 200.

Any thoughts, comments or experiences will be appreciated.

One thing that may help you and cost less in the long run is getting a Rekluse. You can just let the bike idle along and never even touch the clutch, that way you can focus more attention on your son and less on your riding and the bike...

Hey, I don't think you will see a whole lot of difference between them. the 200 will be a little more pipey, which can be tuned out somewhat. The 300 will chug along easier. I think the Rekluse is helpful with either and would likely be your cheapest route at this point, unless of course, you are just ready for a different bike.

I am pretty happy with the 200 riding here and following my 6 yr old on his 50 SA. It's not as easy to follow him around on as a WR, but it works.

the 200 will be easier to kick over as well, firing off with even a half hearted attempt.

If you want to ride my 200 when I get it, just let me know.

I have got a KTM 200 and have riden several 300's and I don't think there is enough difference for you to go out and buy a new bike. Try going to 12-52 gearing then you can ride super slow and in control. I plan on riding my trials bike behind my kids.

I've had 5 380's in the past,, love those big bore bikes. My oldest son started moving up and I insit that he master a 125 before getting on bigger bore bikes. At the moment he has a 125 and I have a 144. I am lovin that 144. I miss my big 380 every now and then but the 144 is so light and playful. That 20 pounds in weight feels like 50. With the way you are talking you would have a blast on a 200, go get it;)

If you opt to keep the 300,, it will suit you just fine as well.

Joe...........

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't seem like there is enough of a difference to make a move for the purpose mentioned above. Not only that, the little guy is getting faster and faster every time we go out. So, it will become less of an issue as time goes by.

In any event, I do want to try out a 200. The "mountain bike with a motor" thing is very intriguing to me since I got here from a mountain biking background. If a 200 is snappier handling wise than my 300, I know I will like it. Plus, I like riding with the revs up.

My best experiences when riding with my kids at their learning pace was on a similar size bike. Yes I mean a small wheeled machine, like an xr 80 or 100. If you can stand it a 2 stroke 80 or 100. This will keep you really having fun, feel like your flying, working hard and you can practice the same skills you need to go fast on a big bike and not continuously run away from your little one. You will need to get over the fact that you will be cramped on the bike, once you do you will be having a ball. Your kid will also see you doing the skills needed to be successful on the same size bike and say if he can do it so can I. You can set up a big wheeled 100 with a decent amount of room and have a great time.

We ride mostly mx and I have two bikes for him, a 65 and 85. When I really want to have fun I jump on his 85 and we go at it. I don't jump it for the most part, but that allows him to stay with me into the next turn and it's on!

Thanks for the feedback. It doesn't seem like there is enough of a difference to make a move for the purpose mentioned above. Not only that, the little guy is getting faster and faster every time we go out. So, it will become less of an issue as time goes by.

In any event, I do want to try out a 200. The "mountain bike with a motor" thing is very intriguing to me since I got here from a mountain biking background. If a 200 is snappier handling wise than my 300, I know I will like it. Plus, I like riding with the revs up.

I come from a mtn biking background as well and still have my Superlight. If you are like me, sounds like the 200 may be in your future.

I come from a mtn biking background as well and still have my Superlight. If you are like me, sounds like the 200 may be in your future.

. . . and in your Very Near future.;-)

Unless you've already picked it up!

ncbiker; with your background and preferences, a 200 would suit you well. Handling is "snappy" on my 200 . . . sometimes too snappy, like a real mountain bike.:smirk:

. . . and in your Very Near future.;-)

Unless you've already picked it up!

ncbiker; with your background and preferences, a 200 would suit you well. Handling is "snappy" on my 200 . . . sometimes too snappy, like a real mountain bike.:smirk:

haha, yep, not yet picked it up, though...soon...

ncbiker, IDK that gearing it down would make your 300 easier to ride as it would have more snap. I have found that gearing it up actually smooths it out and keeps shifting down.

I think you can tune your 300 for relatively no money to make it work better for following your son at this point. PV, jetting, gearing, etc.

For slow riding my 300 is way to fat in jetting, causes it to blubber and then surge with very little throttle change. For racing it's fine, it keeps the motor lubricated well when you chop the throttle but it's a pain when riding with the kids.

I dropped the needle two positions and it made it WAY better for putting around. It was a bit lean for racing so I raised it back up one to the middle position.

Lean it out, put in a green power valve spring and unhook the ign wire for the softer setting.

haha, yep, not yet picked it up, though...soon...

ncbiker, IDK that gearing it down would make your 300 easier to ride as it would have more snap. I have found that gearing it up actually smooths it out and keeps shifting down.

I think you can tune your 300 for relatively no money to make it work better for following your son at this point. PV, jetting, gearing, etc.

Yea, different jetting might be the ticket. My current jetting is not smooth at lower rpm's. I'm still figuring the jetting thing out. I do like the 300, but I'm not want to get some seat time on a variety of bikes for comparison purposes. I've only spent any real seat time on the 300 and a couple of 450s since I got back into dirt bikes after a 23 year break.

After a long break a 300 or most 450's are a handful. I took off 16 years and rode a 250f for a while. Then after riding for 3 years and seeing what was out there what I wanted turned out to be a 300.

300's seem to be better at going slow than my 200.

I'd say get a really cheap crf150f as a 2nd bike, soon you will be able to have a fair race with it too

I went from a 06 300 xcw to a 08 200 xcw.....the 200 is way easier to ride, hill climbs like a billy goat, loves the tight single track....I'm much faster racing on it than with the 300 all my riding buddies say so as well......I follow my 7 yo grandson around on the 200 all the time, I stand up and do slow speed fun stuff when behind him lol (boring) I have a Revlock coming for it this week and that should help in the putter stuff.