Header Wrap?

My bike has an aftermarket header (I think a Pro circuit) that has no guard. I am sick of burning my pants up and myself during crashes and was thinking of putting on some header wrap since I already have some left over from a car project. It's Vulcan Ultimate Lava Fiber Header Wrap. But I have heard mixed reviews on it's use for dirt bikes. I don't race and ride trails and dunes. What's the disadvantage of using it?

my boots cover the header. i run no guards and have not had any burns. my pants do get melted sometimes if i ride trails, but nothing for me to worry about cause i mostly ride motocross. if i were you id just get a after market header guard.

I would do the after market header gaurd also. If you have some header wrap left over you can do the part of the exhaust below the shock reservoir to keep some heat off the reservoir.

FMF makes a bolt-on header heat shield.

Header wraps will typically make more power. I can explain why, but you probably dont care.

The issue with the header wrap is the header itself is so thin that the heat kills the header and they typically crack.

Is the header Stainless or Titanium?

i asked earlier but what's better shawn SS or titanium?

i asked earlier but what's better shawn SS or titanium?

Depends on what you want!

The Ti is lighter, but the stainless is way way tougher and can make more power because it'll hold the heat in the header better. The more heat you hold inside the header the better they flow and scavenge the cylinder.

so titanium with header wrap will equal SS?... if you wrap a titanium pipe wouldnt it just be better to get a SS pipe since the header wrap will make the titanium as heavy as SS?

so titanium with header wrap will equal SS?... if you wrap a titanium pipe wouldnt it just be better to get a SS pipe since the header wrap will make the titanium as heavy as SS?

no, cause SS pipes get hot too and need guards.

i thought about wrapping mine too since the aftermarket pipe guards are soo exspensive.

BTW, if you need any more info on wrapping your pipe there are a ton of threads on here about it.

i wanna get a megabomb one of these days but i'm not sure what is more beneficial SS or titanium..

Header wraps will typically make more power. I can explain why, but you probably dont care.

The issue with the header wrap is the header itself is so thin that the heat kills the header and they typically crack.

Is the header Stainless or Titanium?

It's stainless steel. I thought it would be a good idea to keep some of the heat away from the engine to make it run cooler. Guards always hang up on stuff. It's header wrap or nothing. But I don't want it to crack.

I had an 02 and wrapped it,no negative result now my 05 has been wrapped since new no negitave results,no rock dings melted pants.

I think the solution will be to sew some thick leather on the inside of right leg. Yeah, the boot will protect you if you are of average size or less. But if you have a 36" inseam like me, the boot is still 6" below the knee and that is where the melting occurs.

reviving this thread... has anybody header wrapped a fmf megabomb? if so is there any pics?

i just picked up a titanium megabomb so can anybody confirm that if i header wrap it will the pipe eventually crack?

Hi guys,

Im interested in this thread too, i have recently put a DRD full system on my RMZ450, the header has no guard though it looks awesome without a guard too.

I have been burning my pants at the knee ever since i have been using this pipe, when riding its not a drama as alpinestars have the leather inner bit, but hugging the bike on the start gates burns them to bits,

Ill heat wrap mine this weekend and post up some pics and review how it goes, im hoping the mus doesnt make it look s**T though

i wanna get a megabomb one of these days but i'm not sure what is more beneficial SS or titanium..

stainless is more beneficial to 98% of us, cause we would never notice the slight weight diff, very minor power dif, nor CRY LIKE A BABY when we smash the TI pipe due to cost :)

NO WAY will header wrap keep a TI from damage, it will help some, but if you drop your bike or go off trail and tag a tree hard enough the pipe still dents.. TI is NOT as durable as SS.

Header wrap is required for enduros and i just did mine for the 1st time last week. i can tell you it will do what your looking to do, save your pants and keep from getting burned, but have some extra as it is not super durable. Im sure if you ride in mud, the wrap holding water/mud will potentially degrade the header too. I don't have any long term field study yet, but the guys posting above gave good advice. The full heat shields may be better for what your looking for.

I wrapped mine with some 2.5" heat wrap. I have been riding it for a few months now. No ill effects thus far. When the bike is washed you have to start it up and let the header wrap steam off to dry it. I wrapped mine from the head to the muffler and used safety wire to hold it. Takes a bunch of heat away from the rider. However, if you have burned pants already you will probably wear off the area where your boot rubs. Once you see where the mark is you can triple up in that area to keep it there.