Sign in to follow this  

If you can feel grooves in axle is it toast?

In my never ending battle to get this bike back on the road, I took off my rear wheel. And, I can just barely see and feel grooves on it where I am guessing the bearings have been wearing it. If I put new bearings in, this will kill them, right?

New/less jacked up used axle time?

Will be taking off the front wheel in a few minutes. I expect the worst...

those grooves are from a bearing that seized and spun the inner race against the axle. If the grooves are just able to be felt, they are fine. They won't put any weird loads on the new bearings, so won't ruin them. If the grooves are deep, they will make installing the axle a pain and will allow for a bit of play of the wheel, but they'd have to be very deep.

those grooves are from a bearing that seized and spun the inner race against the axle. If the grooves are just able to be felt, they are fine. They won't put any weird loads on the new bearings, so won't ruin them. If the grooves are deep, they will make installing the axle a pain and will allow for a bit of play of the wheel, but they'd have to be very deep.

Okay. I mean, you can JUST feel that it isn't smooth/perfect. Can barely get a fingernail to catch it.

I wish I had known more about DRZ/KLXs, then I could have more easily seen how the previous owner treated this bike. :smirk::smirk:

*edit, oh yeah, the front axle kinda feels the same as the rear.

***EDIT: in fact, I can't get a fingernail to catch, can only sense it by running a finger across.

Edited by nhess81

They will be fine. When the axle bolt is tightened up, the axle, bear inner races, spacers all become a fixed unit.

Thanks! I'm just getting to know motorcycles. And with tires/wheels/brakes, I don't like to eff around and guess. Those are the ONLY things keepin me upright while riding! :smirk:

*edit: the spacers front and back are pretty worn, but, it seems it happens. I'll just glob em up good with grease and consider tracking down those stainless steel replacements off of ebay. Once I get this axle/wheel thing sorted, I'll get to see if my stator grommet is still leaking or not. Can't wait to ride, the weather is great!

Edited by nhess81

Thanks! I'm just getting to know motorcycles. And with tires/wheels/brakes, I don't like to eff around and guess. Those are the ONLY things keepin me upright while riding! :smirk:

*edit: the spacers front and back are pretty worn, but, it seems it happens. I'll just glob em up good with grease and consider tracking down those stainless steel replacements off of ebay. Once I get this axle/wheel thing sorted, I'll get to see if my stator grommet is still leaking or not. Can't wait to ride, the weather is great!

http://members.lycos.co.uk/mgmoto/html/drz_spacers.html

Seller is a real good guy, do not sweat the fact he is in the UK, you will be amazed at how fast he can get it to you via US mail. I get stuff from him faster than stuff gets to me from the TT store, (Not the TT stores problem, it is UPS, slower than a PW50)

Seller is a real good guy, do not sweat the fact he is in the UK, you will be amazed at how fast he can get it to you via US mail. I get stuff from him faster than stuff gets to me from the TT store, (Not the TT stores problem, it is UPS, slower than a PW50)

About to place order.

OH PARTY FOUL!!!! MGMoto is out of wheel spacers, and only has a few CS spacers left. Guess I'll have to use the dude from Canada's on Ebay-although I heard his shipping is expensive? Or just buy Moose/MSR/AllBalls/Etc steel sleeeved aluminum spacers. Damn!!

are you sure it was caused by a bearing failure, not the dust seals ?

id replace an axle with bearing wear marks, stress risers are nothing to play with !

That stinks. Is he going to make more?

I just got word back. He said the company that made them for him went under, so pretty much no more stainless steel spacers anymore.

are you sure it was caused by a bearing failure, not the dust seals ?

id replace an axle with bearing wear marks, stress risers are nothing to play with !

It is lined up with where the bearings sit. I am looking for axles less than OEM MSRP...they are rare. Ebay has a few, but, it's hard to tell from the pics if they are GREAT or GOOD or JUST AS 'BAD' as mine are.

Update: I grabbed a pristine rear axle off of ebay. Just to be safe. The front axle has a little bit of a groove, but, those bearings were fine, where the brake side rear bearing was toast.

I also got the Alls Balls rear spacers, to replace the aluminum stock ones which were fakked up.

So, I will keep en eye out for a nice front axle bolt, but the rear has been changed for good measure, and have a new OEM spacer on order to replace the front one.

New spokes arrived to replace my rusty yet scary loose ones. So. I may be within a week or two of riding finally, once my wheels are fixed!